best linux system for video streaming

*nix specific usage questions
matz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

best linux system for video streaming

Postby matz » 17 Apr 2013 02:09

I'm aware that Linux is probably the better operating system in general, when comparing it to Windows. The one thing I have always had trouble with is it is not as user-friendly. And when I tried to install something I don't understand commands like sudo or whatever. With Windows I just click install.

Is there any Linux system that is as easy to use as Windows? Especially if things go wrong with Linux, I would have no idea where to start on how to fix things

And is there a specific advantage that Linux has for video processing in particularly with streaming media wirelessly?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: best linux system for video streaming

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 17 Apr 2013 17:23

VLC may be a little bit more stable on Linux than on Windows for streaming output, but this depends heavily on the Linux distribution and VLC build used.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

matz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby matz » 19 Apr 2013 07:05

Which Linux Is easiest to use? I have tried Ubuntu which is good, but of the file system crashed and was corrupted, I would have no idea how to fix it so I need something really simple, if it exists

Whsperz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Whsperz » 14 May 2013 10:47

Not saying that mine is the most stable of choices, however, I do run 63 instances of VLC at one time on a 65 inch TV for monitoring channels on our network. I am doing this with Linux Mint 14 and VLC 2.0.4 twoflower without a hitch. That being said, I am running a quad core i7-3770K @ 3.50Ghz w/32Gbs of RAM and duel GeForce GTX 680s SLIed

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”