VLC on Android

*nix specific usage questions
mentago
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC on Android

Postby mentago » 04 Jul 2011 10:23

I have the same problem but finally I use the VMware virtual machine and it work.....

ps. dose any one knows that the latest version of the vlc-android I compiled that had contain the live555 in .so file?

Sébastien Escudier
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: linux

Postby Sébastien Escudier » 04 Jul 2011 10:38

ps. dose any one knows that the latest version of the vlc-android I compiled that had contain the live555 in .so file?
parse error... don't understand your question

mentago
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mentago » 04 Jul 2011 12:01

I means that the vlc-android I compiled have contain live555 default?

Sébastien Escudier
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: linux

Postby Sébastien Escudier » 04 Jul 2011 12:05

if it can find it during configure, it is compiled

mentago
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mentago » 04 Jul 2011 16:04

thanks a lot...

In my situation the path "/home/MYNAME/code/vlc-android/extras/contrib/build-src" contain "live555-latest.tar.gz" and "live" folder means that the live555 has been compiled in the final "libvlcjni.so" ?

can you point me out how to use libvlcjni.so to have an RTSP play ?

mentago
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mentago » 05 Jul 2011 11:27

In my situation the path "/home/MYNAME/code/vlc-android/extras/contrib/build-src" contain "live555-latest.tar.gz" and "live" folder means that the live555 has been compiled in the final "libvlcjni.so" ?

can you point me out how to use libvlcjni.so to have an RTSP play ?
I have successfully run the libvlcjni.so in my android device, but the .so file is to large... how can I remove some module that I do not need?

Boltie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Boltie » 05 Jul 2011 18:16

What are the VLC developers thoughts on the app found below?

https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... cdirectpro

Does this break any trademarks you have? Does it use any of the source code?

*EDIT*
There are many other apps the same. I just want to know if you agree with their use of the logo and name.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 05 Jul 2011 18:38

Trademarks belong to the VideoLAN non-profit, not to the developers.

But I doubt there is much to go after a traffic cone logo, unless it's a straight rip-off one of the VLC logo designs. Similarly, prefixing the name of an application with VLC, so long as it is not just "VLC" or "VLC media player" may be construed as fair use. But I'm not a lawyer. Besides, third party software that interoperates with VLC should strengthen VLC as a player/streamer.

In any case, I'm more concerned about scammers that sell VLC to unsuspecting users, or distribute adware under the guise of VLC, than VLC remote control apps.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Jul 2011 21:36

Most of them will get DMCA over the summer... If you want to help, please join the legal project.

Oh, and this is totally off-topic. Please stay on topic.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

wrsg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wrsg » 06 Jul 2011 15:46

Exactly. If you don't know how to compile it yourself, you are unlikely to be able to help development.

You are therefore an end-user and will likely complain about it not working perfectly...

Still, if you have a weird phone and Android version, I can give you a build to test weird configurations.
i have a weird Android version, MIUI latest release, can you give me the build to test it with please?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Jul 2011 18:51

Exactly. If you don't know how to compile it yourself, you are unlikely to be able to help development.

You are therefore an end-user and will likely complain about it not working perfectly...

Still, if you have a weird phone and Android version, I can give you a build to test weird configurations.
i have a weird Android version, MIUI latest release, can you give me the build to test it with please?
Sure, mail me.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

SimFox3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SimFox3 » 10 Jul 2011 11:20

Guys,
Just a friendly notice that the lib555 maintainer released a new 'latest' version on July 8th, and that the patches are not applying cleanly. Does anyone know where I can download the previous lib555, so that I can stick it into the build-src directory?

SimFox3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SimFox3 » 10 Jul 2011 11:38

Found the previous library that works (as of July 10th): 2011.06.16

Available here:
http://code.google.com/p/live555sourcec ... loads/list

XilasZ
Developer
Developer

Postby XilasZ » 11 Jul 2011 14:20

it should be fixed on the main branch, i'll apply it on the android branch tonight (unless someone does it first).

http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=co ... 2d735516a5

Edit: no issue on android port, i've rebuilt live contrib without issue, so no patch for android

mattsolberg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mattsolberg » 14 Jul 2011 01:59

I too am running a non stock rom. GalnetMIUI on a Telus Samsung Fascinate (T959D). Overclocked with custom kernel. I would be interested in testing a build as well. More than willing to provide detailed bug reports.

Stenberg^
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Stenberg^ » 23 Jul 2011 04:14

First of all, I can't thank you guys enough for putting down all this time and effort into something that has become an incredible piece of software, I use on a daily basis. Thank you : ) My only problem now though, is my itch to get a port of it onto my phone, combined with my shortcomings in the terms of building an APK from the .git

I know I'm probably asking a lot, and I'm not even sure if it's the right place. But if any of you can find the time for it, my humble request is this: Can you please mail me a build for my HTC Sensation 2.3.3 at "simenfossenstenberg@gmail.com"?

I would be forever grateful, and more than happy to serve you with bug reports, if wanted.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Jul 2011 23:00

Mail me.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

kgersen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kgersen » 27 Jul 2011 02:15

I just saw this: http://twitter.com/#!/videolan/status/95908310095634433

So how do we get the beta ? is it open (market) or closed ?

is it native code or above the dalvik ? what about exotic codecs not installed in the device : VLC is great on desktop because it comes with tons of codecs.
will it work also on tablets and be optimized for tegra 2 GPU ? what about RTSP / Streaming ?

sorry for all these questions ;) i'm just excited this great software is landing on Android.

Good work and gl for the beta

IHateMustard
New Cone
New Cone

Postby IHateMustard » 28 Jul 2011 01:04

I currently am using a Motorola Xoom 3G on the tiamat Kernel as well as a motorola atrix 4G on the newest Gingerbread release. Any chance I could help test anything for you? Anyway that I can even help a little bit is worth any effort I have to give to get VLC on these devices. : )

rafale0n
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rafale0n » 28 Jul 2011 05:58

I have Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v running on Honeycomb 3.0.1. I will be more than happy to test the beta build and provide some feedback.

PS: Good work on iOS release, best video player on iTunes hands down.

dsabourin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dsabourin » 03 Aug 2011 17:16

I've enjoyed using VLC media player on my desktops for years and really miss not having it on my tablet. If it helps, I could do some testing. I have an Acer Iconia tab A500 with honeycomb 3.1.

griml0ck
New Cone
New Cone

Postby griml0ck » 08 Aug 2011 15:25

hello im running my galaxy 2 with cognition 1.31 and my advent vega tab with vega comb 1.7 and want to test vlc when you have a beta release

should i keep posting about it in the irc channel now and then untill i found some one from the android team or is there a way to go throug the forum?

best reggards mathias

Nactive
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nactive » 09 Aug 2011 14:53

If you want to try VLC on Android you can always compile it yourself, but be aware it can take a while :-)

The current version is pretty stable btw.

There is a guide you can find here on how to compile it: http://wiki.videolan.org/AndroidCompile

gigabite1123
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gigabite1123 » 18 Aug 2011 06:23

Ok. So I spent most of my night trying to get a build environment working. After everything was said and done, I managed to get a VLC-Debug build.

1. Any time vlc is launched, the phone thinks, goes black screen, then vlc crashes. Where does one go about looking at logs for this build(new to android dev)?

2. The build guide mentions building against "SDK Platform Android 2.3, API 10". I tried using everything default that was generated by the scripts, but every time I do, there is a failure "84: Unable to resolve target 'android-8'"
By default it seems to be building against the version 8 API. After some trickery (not knowing where that configuration was located), I managed to get it to build under API 10, but the issue of black screen still persists.

Should I rebuild without NEON? (incredibly slow builds on this 1.7ghz centrino)

Any ideas, or a possible working build for testing would be awesome.

Thanks.

--

Phone: HTC Desire CDMA, Cyanogenmod 7 nightly build-159, android 2.3.5

Reyssor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Reyssor » 22 Aug 2011 15:57

Same here: black screen and crash. Compiled it from git on Ubuntu 10.10 32 bits for my Samsung Galaxy S2 (the version with the Exynos processor).

Using the debugger, I caught the following exception :

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{org.videolan.vlc.android/org.videolan.vlc.android.MainActivity}: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{org.videolan.vlc.android/org.videolan.vlc.android.VideoActivityGroup}: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{org.videolan.vlc.android/org.videolan.vlc.android.VideoListActivity}: android.database.sqlite.SQLiteException: near "AUTOINCREMENT": syntax error: CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS playlist_media_table (id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL AUTOINCREMENT, playlist_name VARCHAR(200) NOT NULL,media_path TEXT NOT NULL);

Solved this by replacing line (125) in the file extras/package/android/vlc-android/src/org/videolan/vlc/android/DatabaseManager.java :

PLAYLIST_MEDIA_ID + " INTEGER PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL AUTOINCREMENT, " +
by
PLAYLIST_MEDIA_ID + " INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT NOT NULL, " +

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”