skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs

*nix specific usage questions
ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 19 Dec 2005 08:21

I ended up just giving up on skins2. :)
Once more, this has nothing to do with skins2...

verbose

Postby verbose » 19 Dec 2005 22:18

I know, but in order to get rid of the wxWidgets (which is required for skins2 to work properly) error, I disabled the use of skins2. That's all I'm saying.

WalterK
New Cone
New Cone

Postby WalterK » 19 Dec 2005 23:53

Well for the rest of us with no compiling skills could some be kind enough to post a step by step of what you did, if I use the official vlc-player deb package(I'm on Ubuntu) it install great.
Any attempts to compile the plain version results in that error dialogue even other deb packages.
However I need to enable a few extra things that don't come with the plain version hence the need to compile.
I compiled and installed wxWidgets 2.6.2 from source after reading here how WxGtk seems to be missing parts.
I can't understand it , what could i be possibly missing?

WalterK
New Cone
New Cone

Postby WalterK » 24 Dec 2005 00:51

Hey ipkiss I just tried verbose's method of adding --disable--skins2 to configure and it worked no more errors and my compiled vlc launched, playback is smooth as is recording and encoding.
So there must have been something to that method.

pm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pm » 26 Dec 2005 15:33

vlc -v --reset-config --reset-plugins-cache -l

first gave me an unresolved symbol. That was because my system had wxGTK 2.5.2 installed.

Updating to 2.6 first gave me no progress - instead of the unresolved symbol I now got a different failure.

Compiling wxGTK 2.6 again, this time after ./configure --enable-unicode, made things work - including the skins2 appearance.

So the bottom line is, you need wx 2.6, and it needs to be unicode-enabled.

WalterK
New Cone
New Cone

Postby WalterK » 27 Dec 2005 04:16

Believe me pm I read evey thread I could find on those wxWidgets error, from uninstalling to reinstalling wxWidgets 2.6 and still the error came up with --enable-unicode even running ldcache after the install. I was hesitant to add --disable-skins2 after reading ipkiss's earlier post on the explanation of what skins2 was for, but I figured I had nothing to lose after verbose' compile worked.
And it worked, go figure I still don't know why and I don't think I'll go looking for why until I decide to do a fresh install of Linux on another PC, I'll just count my blessings.

Itsme

vlc_entry__0_8_4

Postby Itsme » 31 Jan 2006 15:40

I have the following error in VLC:

Running : vlc -v --reset-config --reset-plugins-cache -l | grep wx

[00000029] main module warning: cannot find symbol "vlc_entry__0_8_4" in file `/usr/local/lib/vlc/access/libcddax_plugin.so' (vlc: undefined symbol: _vlc_entry__0_8_4)
[00000129] main module warning: cannot find symbol "vlc_entry__0_8_4" in file `/usr/local/lib/vlc/demux/libaac_plugin.so' (vlc: undefined symbol: _vlc_entry__0_8_4)
[00000138] main module warning: cannot find symbol "vlc_entry__0_8_4" in file `/usr/local/lib/vlc/demux/libid3_plugin.so' (vlc: undefined symbol: _vlc_entry__0_8_4)
[00000161] main module warning: cannot find symbol "vlc_entry__0_8_4" in file `/usr/local/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwindows_plugin.so' (vlc: undefined symbol: _vlc_entry__0_8_4)
[00000001] main vlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/local/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwidgets_plugin.so' (/usr/local/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.6.so.0: undefined symbol: pango_x_get_context)
[00000176] main module warning: cannot find symbol "vlc_entry__0_8_4" in file `/usr/local/lib/vlc/misc/libsap_plugin.so' (vlc: undefined symbol: _vlc_entry__0_8_4)

I have in ld.so.conf :
/usr/local/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/i486-slackware-linux/lib
/opt/kde/lib
/usr/lib/qt/lib
/usr/include
/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/local/mysql/lib
/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
/usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.49/lib
/usr/lib/xfce4/panel-plugins
/usr/local/lib/graphviz
/usr/local/lib/vlc

What to do to get it to run properly

wxwidgets

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 31 Jan 2006 19:42

Check (and fix) your pango installation.

vulture
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vulture » 06 Jul 2006 07:21

I just had the same problem. I found this in another post, try adding
--with-wx-config=wx-config-unicode
to the config.

That seemed to fix it for me.
How do I create that wx-config-unicode? I get a message which says I don't have that config.

checking for wx-config-unicode... no
configure: error: The skins2 module depends on the wxWidgets development package. Without it you won't be able to open any dialog box from the interface, which makes the skins2 interface rather useless. Install the wxWidgets development package or alternatively you can also configure with: --disable-wxwidgets --disable-skins2.

kaitou

Postby kaitou » 15 Aug 2006 23:32

Basically, it's a bug in vlc. vlc-config says "use -D_UNICODE" for the compiles and then used the non-unicode versions of the libraries (e.g., -lwx_gtk2_core-2.6 instead of -lwx_gtk2u_core-2.6). I suspect it didn't check to see if the unicode versions were available (they weren't when I first built it).

For me, it was: reconfigure wxGTK with --enable-unicode; build and install;
rerun configure in vlc (it will create a correct vlc-config);
make clean;
make;
make install.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”