unencrypted DCP playback

*nix specific usage questions
sampumon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: OS X

Re: unencrypted DCP playback

Postby sampumon » 07 Jun 2015 11:53

I'm quite confused that some of your posts suggest your installed version of VLC is missing necessary components - how can that be? Are you sure you are trying it with the 'official' 2.2.1?
I tried:
  • official VLC 2.2.1
  • multiple latest VLC 3.0.0 nightly
  • VLC 3.0.0-git I built myself, which I had lotsof trouble with, such as getting asdcplib built in
None of them play jpeg-2000, and only the one I built myself plays DCP as a package; ie. video & audio together and shows the DCP as single playlist entry. But with black image for the jpeg-2000 stream. And you need to open the DCP from terminal: vlc dcp://path-to-dcp .
Have you tried disabling 'Drop late frames' and 'Skip frames'? Does your VLC play other video/codec types successfully? Reset prefs?
Yes, yes and yes. Interop DCP with mpeg-2 video plays, though choppily (unlike the source mpeg-2). Everything else is fine and I like my VLC!
I mostly use Doremi DCP Player demo. It even allows realtime on this old machine, though usually in a lower resolution layer. But this display is not 2k anyway...
I use Fraunhofer EaysyDCP player demo. I just tried Doremi player, and wow that was bad experience! I'm sorry, I have to vent some of it:
  • comes as an installer package which requires you to type admin password
  • installer FAILS
  • seemed to get installed though and plays 15 seconds of BigBuckBunny, but…
  • I try to play my smpte-subtitled DCP, says "you need PRO version for subtitles" and does not play AT ALL.
  • checked the installer postflight scripts; it tries to mess with my kernel memory settings???
Sampumon

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Jul 2015 14:51

I will build a special version in September.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

mayurpuli
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mayurpuli » 03 Oct 2015 02:30

Hi,
Any updates here? Is the DCP playback version of VLC available now!

(or)

Is there any work flow or sequence of steps available to include additional libraries during VLC compilation so that DCP files can be played?

Thanks
Mpuli

Coeur Noir
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.1 / 2.2
Operating System: Linux (ubuntu)

Postby Coeur Noir » 22 Nov 2015 23:51

Ooops, it's been long I did not check here…

Glad to see the topic is alive, unfortunately not resolved for the moment.

As a workaround it appears that latest version of DCP-o-Matic is able to "read" unencrypted DCP (without sound) with XYZ' color conversion - depending on hardware it's not realtime, but enough to check the content.

boxerab
New Cone
New Cone

Postby boxerab » 01 Jun 2016 01:45

I believe the biggest problem is slow, unoptimized avcodec decompression for j2k files. I can get 10 FPS 2K decode on my aging i7 3770, full resolution, using the latest openjpeg.
Unfortunately, I was not able to get vlc to play dcp using avcodec+openjpeg. On the upcoming octo-core cpus, it should be possible to achieve 25 FPS full resolution playback. But, someone needs to do the work to improve avcodec decode.

boxerab
New Cone
New Cone

Postby boxerab » 01 Jun 2016 01:47

Also, there is an issue with GPL licensing and one of the libraries required to read the DCP (libasdcp). This needs to be sorted out before DCP playback can be enabled in release versions of VLC.

Cantar4
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.0
Operating System: mac os

Postby Cantar4 » 18 Sep 2016 15:47

[Coeur noir]: it's really ok if there's no XYZ→RGB color conversion 'cause it's enough to check
if a DCP works.

Well... this is an issue which hinders HandBrake because they rely upon Libav
(xyz color space input not supported), but not VLC which is using FFmpeg libraries.

[Coeur noir]: Any help and hints very welcome and would be useful to thousands of people

Mille e uno...
for our moonlight festival we receive short form films from all over the world, supposedly perfect DCPs.
In fact we must DCP-correct a lot of them ; we use the excellent Dcp-o-matic which unfortunately
is not able to playback in realtime (no sound), and thus is not usable for verification work.
We are considering the making of MP4 proxies with FFmpeg's CLI.
On a basic eight core CPU it should work at 10 fps. This would save us a lot of time --out of the
projection booth-- verifying at high speed ffwd and reverse the video/audio/subtitle sync.
Bonus: we will be able to send back an mp4 clean copy to the happy selected applicants.:)

There is another solution for DCP reading on a slow computer that I proposed
to GPUless DCP makers: to keep real time playback necessary for sync sound verification,
only decode one frame every six or five and repeat it in the rgb display side
You get a 4 (5) samples per second film which seen at 24 (25) fps is surprisingly good to
smoothly follow body movements and displacements, certainly good enough to verify
the audio/subtitle sync. After a shortwhile you don't even realize you are looking at a 5 sps film,
and if you can go up to 8 sps (every 3 frames) nobody will ever see the trick.

PS: if you have a really slow machine you can extend the method to one sample every 12 frames,
but then the jumpiness makes the film tiring to watch.

Cantar4
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cantar4 » 04 Oct 2016 16:56

I mostly use Doremi DCP Player demo. It even allows realtime on this old machine, though usually in a lower resolution layer. But this display is not 2k anyway..
knowing this Doremi player disappeared last year,
is there some news or rumors about a VLC player for your side of the OSs ?
-
a Mac-osist

Cantar4
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cantar4 » 21 Oct 2016 10:39

I can get 10 FPS 2K decode on my aging i7 3770, full resolution, using the latest openjpeg.
and what is the max speed you reach when selecting -lowres1 to get 1K resolution?
(good enough to verify audio and subtitle sync on 15" screens)

sup
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sup » 15 Feb 2017 12:47

and what is the max speed you reach when selecting -lowres1 to get 1K resolution?
(good enough to verify audio and subtitle sync on 15" screens)
How do you use -lowres1 with VLC? Is not that a ffmpeg option? I am getting errors when I try to use this option.

sup
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sup » 19 Feb 2017 22:46

Actually, one needs to use

Code: Select all

vlc /path/to/DCP/ --avcodec-options {lowres=1}
, lowres can be put higher but 1 is enough for me.

Cantar4
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cantar4 » 06 Sep 2017 22:47

Actually, one needs to use: vlc /path/to/DCP/ --avcodec-options {lowres=1
Is VLC close to playback DCPs ?

the latest v.3.0.0 for MacOS displays DCP's J2K images but in static mode only : neither the audio nor the images nor the soft subtitles follow the real time playing slider.

sup
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sup » 20 Sep 2017 12:27

Actually, one needs to use: vlc /path/to/DCP/ --avcodec-options {lowres=1
Is VLC close to playback DCPs ?

the latest v.3.0.0 for MacOS displays DCP's J2K images but in static mode only : neither the audio nor the images nor the soft subtitles follow the real time playing slider.
You need to play DCPs in lowresolution mode, then I can view them in realtime (though the resolution is far from perfect). I dont know how to do that on MAC though - probably using Terminal.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Dec 2017 01:04

Yes, that works with lowres for me.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Cantar4
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cantar4 » 11 Feb 2018 22:59

As of yesterday the free open source DCP-o-Matic standalone DCP verification player 2.11.54 was released with features that expensive proprietary players do not yet offer.
Audio is in sync, meta subtitles (color, position, effects and appearence) are
respected, clicks on the scrollbar hit their target with instant meta sub visibility,
and, and above all, it allows forward and backward frame by frame scrubbing.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”