Porting VLC to Archos Portable Media Player platform

*nix specific usage questions
archos_dev

Porting VLC to Archos Portable Media Player platform

Postby archos_dev » 16 Apr 2006 10:51

We envisage to implement VLC on our Linux-based PMP platform in order to support the IPTV services based on Videolan, such as Free and the FreeBox. Implementing VLC on our platform means “glueing” VLC onto our low-level music and video play engine based on a DSP hardware. If you are interested, please send an email, describing your experience and availability to fralin@archos.com.

gmini_owner

Postby gmini_owner » 24 Apr 2006 10:14

VLC on Archos? This would be the very best thing archos ever did for their players (which are awesome). I'd love my gmini to have compatability like VLC does... I swear over half my divxs either won't play on it or the sound doesn't work. Someone with some tech skills make this happen! Oh please!

gowator
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gowator » 02 May 2006 19:08

VLC on Archos? This would be the very best thing archos ever did for their players (which are awesome). I'd love my gmini to have compatability like VLC does... I swear over half my divxs either won't play on it or the sound doesn't work. Someone with some tech skills make this happen! Oh please!
Nope the very best thing they could do is sell new batteries!
I have an archos in my "unusable items" box because the battery is screwed and archos refuse to sell me a new battery....

You wouldn't beleive the trouble i went to .. heck I'd pick it up from them since they claimed they can't send them through the post (strangly they can send other's through the post???) and they can send the whole unit with a battery in through the post but they claim they can't post a battery??? I can post it to them (with battery) and they will replace it but won't say how much??? and i have seen horror stories of people loosing all their data ...
Seriously the list of excuses was endless, every time

Bear in mind the Archos MM20 was a current model at the time and they actually had the cheek to ask me where I bought it when I emailed them to ask about buying a new battery!

Here is the whole story told by emails...

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/442f032emb ... EB5WX9SglZ

I would really seriously consider this if buying a new archos and make sure you order the spare battery at the beginning else you end up with a very expensive portable hard disk...

dimstar
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby dimstar » 17 Jan 2007 11:09

Quiet late reply, I know.

But two things: For the battery, I would have a look at http://www.newmp3technology.com/

I had already several Archos devices and guess what: the battery always sucks. And getting a new one is almost impossible... Except: this website (mainly reproductions.. but work great!!)

For VLC on Archos! Especially together with the 604WiFi I think this would get even more interesting: We could directly stream from the PC to the Archos and the like. (like having the archos in another room, having it connected to the TV or whatever...)

And we would finally be able to play OGG Files on Archos Players!

yannoo
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Porting VLC to Archos Portable Media Player platform

Postby yannoo » 03 Dec 2007 22:43

I search too to see the freetv channels fro my Archos 605.
I search something for to compile/adapt VLC and want to make a little 3D API for games develloppment on the Archos 605 platform
So I think that we want the same thing : something like a good SDK for the Archos 605 ... : )
If you have news about that, I really want to participate for this !!!

yannoo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yannoo » 03 Dec 2007 22:53

Another feature that can add VLC to the Archos : stream a movie that is played on the input of the DVR station (cf. streaming FROM the Archos TO multiples computers).
For example, for to see a good movie from a DVD, or a TPS decoder that is connected to the DVR Station, on multiples locations/computers on the house ...

yannoo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yannoo » 03 Dec 2007 23:02

And another reason for to port VLC the the Archos : compatibility with MPEG4 files created for the PSP platform (cf. don't to have to compress twice the same movie : one for the PSP and one for the Archos ...)

yannoo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yannoo » 10 Dec 2007 00:01

I can now stream freetv channels on my Archos 605 :)
VLC reencode and stream on a PC one freetv channel at the mp2v/mp2a format (I think that the video pluggin is necessary on the Archos ... and this don't seen to work with the mp1v format)
But how to make for to command VLC on a computer but directly from my archos ?
I know that VLC have a http interface but have never play with it ... :(
Someone can help me, please ?
Only for to win some time ... in all case I think to find this ... but I prefer to find speedly than to lose (a lot of ?) time for to find it ....

feyip
New Cone
New Cone

Re:

Postby feyip » 15 May 2008 21:23

Nope the very best thing they could do is sell new batteries!
I have an archos in my "unusable items" box because the battery is screwed and archos refuse to sell me a new battery....
Don't understand why the majority of PMPs have fixed batteries (Ipods are particuarly bad); you go on a long trip, and your battery dies, what do you do. Taken to carrying around a spare battery for my PMA, which I can switch out if the other one dies (plus it has a USB hub, so I can recharge Ipods off.
I've always understood why Archos have had limited codecs in the past, especially with liscensing laws, but adding VLC makes sense if the material isn't actually stored, merely streamed. With the size of the screens the encoded stream wouldn't need to be more than a couple of mbps.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”