Looking for recommendation, unattended linux, dedicated VLC

*nix specific usage questions
computerguyjim
New Cone
New Cone

Looking for recommendation, unattended linux, dedicated VLC

Postby computerguyjim » 29 Aug 2018 01:29

I am looking for recommendations of a quick easy lightweight linux flavor to live stream a local HD video/audio feed through HDMI to a big screen TV. Hoping for easy configuration, must not require human attention after power on. I setup a Raspberry Pi which worked as desired up until it didn't have enough horse power to stream the HD video resulting in my picture quality being poor and choppy. I verified it was not the feed quality using a laptop and manually connecting to the feed. So I am now looking for a version of linux that is easy to setup an auto login script that also connects to the rtsp network feed and will feed video and audio through HDMI. Puppy? DSL? anybody doing this, what are you using? :?:

erythros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.4
Operating System: Linux

Re: Looking for recommendation, unattended linux, dedicated VLC

Postby erythros » 21 Sep 2018 17:23

I would recommend Ubuntu's mini installation iso: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... mmended.29

If you have used Ubuntu (or any Ubuntu variant) then it will be familiar. It uses a text based install and allows you to choose what packages to install on top of the required base packages. You could then install vlc and run the clvc version with the web interface... I installed it on an old laptop to host a dedicated minecraft server.

If you need a gui, then I would suggest Xubuntu's core iso: https://xubuntu.org/news/introducing-xubuntu-core/
Which actually builds off of Ubuntu's mini iso, and overlays Xubuntu's core gui elements and nothing more.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”