Disable album art completely

*nix specific usage questions
andy_blah
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Disable album art completely

Postby andy_blah » 14 Jun 2015 17:47

I've tried to search around for a solution to this, but most of what I found are forum posts from a few years ago which give outdated instructions on how to set the downloading of album art to manual. There's no longer any option to set the download of album art to manual, and I would like it to be disabled since it's not particularly useful to me, and it litters the ~/.cache/vlc and ~/.cache/media-art with tons of thumbnails and album art. This is especially bad as I watch a lot of YouTube videos through YT, so even after a week or so after cleaning those folders, I get over 15000 of those files in the vlc folder...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Disable album art completely

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Jul 2015 14:56

~/.cache/media-art is not VLC.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

crypter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby crypter » 01 Aug 2015 23:23

I was also wondering the same thing. The 'Album art download policy' option is gone, and unchecking 'allow metadata network access' does nothing on both the latest stable and nightly versions. Even if I specify a placeholder using a <image> tag in the playlist entries, it still downloads the video thumbnail.

Is there really any way to disable this, particularly for YouTube videos?

andy_blah
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby andy_blah » 08 Jan 2016 02:01

So far I've tried making symbolic links from the cache links to /dev/null, and I haven't had the cached images appear again. It probably still downloads the thumbnails, which is quite annoying, but at least it won't clutter the HDD anymore.

zoidanoid
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zoidanoid » 15 Jan 2016 18:22

Wholeheartedly agree here. This is just plain annoying. I have absolutely no desire for a user folder full of a ton of Youtube thumbnails in directories. Sure, you can set up system cleaning software (such as CCleaner) to purge unwanted cache stuff like that, but why on earth would Youtube thumbnails get saved in the first place? What's even the use for that, who would want to have that?

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”