No sound output on Fedora 23

*nix specific usage questions
bscho
New Cone
New Cone

No sound output on Fedora 23

Postby bscho » 01 Dec 2015 11:46

I have lost the sound output on my vlc player. The mute button does not work and the audio is green and 125%.
I have tested the speakers and they are OK. I am using Fedora 23.

The odd thing is I can record a music channel on VLC and play it back with Rhythmbox.

I tried starting from a teminal to see what is happening and got:

Code: Select all

[barry@localhost ~]$ vlc VLC media player 2.2.2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.1-161-g360f42e) [000056069dfb5178] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface. [00007fd854000ee8] http access: Raw-audio server found, mp3 demuxer selected [00007fd8580030c8] mpgatofixed32 audio converter error: libmad error: bad main_data_begin pointer [00007fd8580030c8] mpgatofixed32 audio converter error: libmad error: bad main_data_begin pointer
Any ideas?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: No sound output on Fedora 23

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 01 Dec 2015 12:37

Check that the output device is correct? Look at the debug logs?
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

bscho
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bscho » 01 Dec 2015 14:31

How do I check the output device? There are no listing of devices under audio device. How do I make it list?
Where are the debug logs?

purevw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby purevw » 08 Dec 2015 20:37

How do I check the output device? There are no listing of devices under audio device. How do I make it list?
When you say that your speakers work, how were they tested? Do system sounds and other media players work correctly? It might not hurt to state what your sound hardware is and what your general hardware is.

When you say that you don't see an audio device, is that from the >audio>device menu, or from the settings menus? If there is no device under the >audio>device menu, that simply means that VLC doesn't see a device, which may mean that the settings are incorrect.

Go to >tools>preferences>audio and check which output module VLC is set to use. If playing with the various output modules does not help, then the problem is likely in the Fedora, alsa, or pulse audio setup and you might be better served by searching their forums. I use openSUSE and do not know Fedora well enough to give advice. I also can't help with the debug logs. When I debug, I do it under gdb, which will typically want you to install several debug packages.

bscho
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bscho » 09 Dec 2015 13:03

Thanks for your reply. The speakers were tested with settings sound. All the system sounds and other media players work correctly. The hardware is a desktop with usb external speakers. Hardware is not the problem as the same thing has happened on my laptop with Mint 17.3 and Ubuntu 15.10. Only the Windoze also on the laptop still works OK.

I mean I see no audio device that is from >audio>device menu. I am not sure what the settings menu is? If you mean >tools>preferences>audio and I have checked the output module VLC is set to use as automatic or file where it still records.

The problem lies not just with Fedora but Mint and Ubuntu. I am surprised that no one has picked this up before.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 09 Dec 2015 13:35

You should really not be surprised that nobody picks up a problem that has no debug logs and is not reproducible.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

purevw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby purevw » 10 Dec 2015 00:22

In the "tools>preferences>Audio settings", the "output module" should be a drop-down list. What other options are there? Did you try any of them?
If you open a terminal, what does the command "alsamixer" show, assuming you have alsa installed? When you tested your system sounds, did you verify that the sound to USB speakers is the default sound device?
What sound card is in the desktop, or exactly what brand and model is the desktop? Is it simply speakers that plug into the USB port, or is it an actual USB sound card.

bscho
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bscho » 12 Dec 2015 12:39

You should really not be surprised that nobody picks up a problem that has no debug logs and is not reproducible.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”