TrueHD in VLC Player v2.2.1

*nix specific usage questions
josjoslyn
New Cone
New Cone

TrueHD in VLC Player v2.2.1

Postby josjoslyn » 10 Nov 2015 18:27

I'm sure this has been reported in the forums before, but I can't find anything that is either current, or that I can really make sense of.

My OS' are OpenSUSE Leap 42.1, and Kubuntu 15.10

I have added the necessary additional libraries, etc. to play DVD's and BluRay, but I am struggling with the audio on quite a few of my BluRay discs. It reports the following on playing a BD :

Codec not supported:
VLC could not decode the format "trhd" (TrueHD Audio)

I can select 'Track 2' and get the audio, but is accompanied by voice over for 'visually impaired' viewers of the film, going back into the 'Audio Controls' and selecting Track 1 the 'codec' error is again reported. Is there a set of libraries available to enable 'TrueHD' support on Linux, or is my answer the current option I have which is to convert via MakeMKV and play the group of files via VLC. Can be done, but a real pain both to convert and the amount of storage occupied with the converted data

purevw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: TrueHD in VLC Player v2.2.1

Postby purevw » 08 Dec 2015 20:51

In openSUSE, all I could suggest is that you ensure that the vlc-codecs package (I think that's what it's called) is installed. It will come from the packman repository, which is the better place to install VLC from if you want to stick to repositories that openSUSE recommends. I don't typically try to play blue-rays directly, so I can't be of much more help.

In openSUSE 42.1, there are several known problems concerning VLC when run against their QT5 libraries. I doubt that it is related to your particular problem, but a little extra knowledge never hurts.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”