Open Directory is broken again

*nix specific usage questions
Dane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Open Directory is broken again

Postby Dane » 07 Aug 2014 04:02

The "Media" -> "Open Directory" command is broken again. Any help is appreciated, documentation on this feature is nothing more than how to sequence the process, but no description for troubleshooting. Same for the WIKI. The open command seems to work as I get a brief flash of the 1st song in the screen at the lower left, but then the "play" button shows and nothing happens. The help says look in the error log, but does not say were/how to do that.I've searched for error log, but it's not well placed or documented. My .wav files are in files for each artist all in one directory. This used to work before the latest upgrade. I've used it hundreds of times. Maybe my donations were too small? :)

Dane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Open Directory is broken again

Postby Dane » 07 Aug 2014 21:59

More info - I noticed my laptop running windoz had auto updated with the latest VLC Media player. The "Open Directory" line is gone from the drop down menu, so I suspect this has something to do with the problem on my Ubuntu machine. I tried the "open folder" command on my audio .wav files collection and it worked fine. The audio .wav file collection is a folder containing many folders of .wav files.

I suspect the developers don't read forum posts, but it would be nice to have more information about changes published with this kind of information. Maybe I can volunteer to help as the current system of releases is close to being broken when things that worked suddenly don't due to an upgrade.

I need to do more research on my Ubuntu machine to see if VLC Media player has done an auto upgrade like my laptop did but mistakenly kept the "open directory" selection in the drop down. That would explain why it no longer works. More to follow...

Dane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dane » 11 Aug 2014 23:30

I fixed it, but it's frustrating because I still don't know what I did to break it. I did a "reset preferences" and all is well. Oh well, I guess a "fix" is whatever makes it works again. I wish I could go into "all" preferences and see what gets screwed up, but I'll take what I can get for now.

Dane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Open Directory is broken again- Fixed

Postby Dane » 11 Aug 2014 23:32

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 Aug 2014 21:29

Known bug in the preference dialog of VLC 2.1...
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”