how to customize vlc

*nix specific usage questions
noreason

how to customize vlc

Postby noreason » 02 Sep 2005 08:17

i have compiled cygwin in redhat successfully, about 9.1M,however most of the functions are redundant for me , so i cut some of the functions with many "--disable-" options, however it still 9.0M,
do any one know how to cut it ?

AsMaX
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby AsMaX » 04 Sep 2005 21:51

Hi,
most of vlc features are in its plugins (lib*_plugin.so) so even if you remove all the optional features, you just don't build the plugins but it will not decrease the size of the main executable. Anyway 9M looks quite big to me, mine is only 5M in debug mode and 600k in release mode !

noreason

Postby noreason » 05 Sep 2005 11:25

hello,thx for your reply
can you tell me how did you compile, how can i get a smaller executable file as small as yours ?

did you build it in cygwin or in linux ?

AsMaX

Postby AsMaX » 05 Sep 2005 19:58

My complete config is
./configure --enable-skins2 --disable-pda --enable-wxwidgets --disable-opie --disable-macosx --disable-qnx --disable-ncurses --enable-xosd --enable-visual --disable-goom --disable-slp --disable-lirc --disable-joystick --disable-corba --disable-livedotcom --disable-dvdread --enable-dvdnav --disable-dshow --enable-dvbpsi --enable-v4l --disable-pvr --disable-vcd --disable-satellite --disable-dvb --enable-ogg --disable-mkv --disable-mod --disable-libcdio --disable-vcdx --disable-cddax --disable-libcddb --enable-x11 --enable-xvideo --enable-glx --disable-fb --disable-mga --disable-sdl --enable-freetype --enable-fribidi --disable-svg --disable-qte --disable-hd1000v --disable-directx --disable-wingdi --disable-svgalib --disable-ggi --disable-glide --disable-aa --disable-caca --enable-oss --disable-esd --disable-arts --enable-alsa --disable-waveout --disable-coreaudio --disable-hd1000a --enable-mad --enable-ffmpeg --disable-faad --disable-quicktime --enable-a52 --disable-dts --disable-flac --enable-libmpeg2 --enable-vorbis --disable-tremor --disable-speex --disable-tarkin --disable-theora --disable-cmml --enable-utf8 --disable-pth --disable-st --disable-gprof --disable-cprof --disable-mozilla --disable-testsuite --disable-optimizations --disable-altivec --enable-debug --disable-release --enable-sout --enable-galaktos --enable-httpd

compiling with gcc 3.3.5 on linux

noreason

Postby noreason » 06 Sep 2005 13:44

I have tried to compile as you,however,there were some errors. I changed some options:disabled alsa,skins2,wxwindows and enabled ffmpeg library and livedotcom library.
so my configure options are:

./configure --disable-wxwindows --disable-skins2 --disable-pda --enable-wxwidgets --disable-opie --disable-macosx --disable-qnx --disable-ncurses --enable-xosd --enable-visual --disable-goom --disable-slp --disable-lirc --disable-joystick --disable-corba --enable-livedotcom --with-livedotcom-tree=/home/winddy/vlc/vlc_0.8.2/live --disable-dvdread --enable-dvdnav --disable-dshow --enable-dvbpsi --enable-v4l --disable-pvr --disable-vcd --disable-satellite --disable-dvb --enable-ogg
--disable-mkv --disable-mod --disable-libcdio --disable-vcdx --disable-cddax --disable-libcddb --enable-x11 --enable-xvideo --enable-glx --disable-fb --disable-mga --disable-adl --enable-freetype --enable-fribidi --disable-svg --disable-qte --disable-1000v --disable-directx --disable-wingdi --disable-svgalib --disable-ggi --disable-glide --disable-aa --disable-caca --disable-oss --disable-esd --disable-arts --disable-alsa --disable-waveout --disable-coreaudio --disable-hd1000a --disable-mad --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-tree=/home/winddy/vlc/vlc_0.8.2/ffmpeg-20041113 --disable-faad --disable-quicktime --enable-a52 --disable-dts --disable-flac --disable-libmpeg2 --enable-vorbis --disable-tremor --disable-speex --disable-tarkin --disable-theora --disable-cmml --enable-utf8 --disable-pth --disable-st --disable-gprof --disable-cprof --disable-mozilla --disable-testsuite --disable-optimizations --disable-altivec --enable-debug --disable-release --enable-sout --enable-galaktos --enable-httpd

(gcc3.4.1,redhat 9.0, vlc-0.8.2)

then I typed "make" the result is the same as the last time and the "vlc" file in the directory is 12.3M !!!
what's wrong with my compiling. Is there something wrong ?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 06 Sep 2005 16:53

there are also a lot of builtin modules.
after configure look at vlc-config
It shows you all the builtin and seperate modules.

You can remove more modules there if you want. Beware though. you can't remove everything.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

AsMaX

Postby AsMaX » 06 Sep 2005 20:40

maybe you are statically linking with livedotcom library ? what is the link command line when you build the executable ?

Postby Guest » 08 Sep 2005 12:36

I just config vlc including the following options "--enable-livedotcom --with-livedotcom-tree=/.../live" and the live library has been built before.
after the "./configure ..........." command , I ran:
"make " without any other word

Anything wrong?[/quote]

noreason

Postby noreason » 08 Sep 2005 12:43

the author of the post above is noreason

AsMaX

Postby AsMaX » 08 Sep 2005 23:40

Well I know you build it with make ! ;) The question is what is the command executed to link the binary (i.e the last one run by make), like:

gcc -Wsign-compare -Wall -pipe -o vlc src/vlc-vlc.o lib/libvlc.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_rgb_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi422_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_ymga_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmxext.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpy3dn.a ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a ./modules/stream_out/libstream_out_switcher.a -L/usr/local/lib -g -lrt -lpthread -ldl -lm -lavformat -lz -lavcodec -lm

noreason

Postby noreason » 12 Sep 2005 09:13

I removed most of the builtins and plugin,but it doesn't help.
but when i disabled ffmpeg or livedotcom ,it is smaller a lot .
I would paste the link command line later.
thx :)

noreason

Postby noreason » 13 Sep 2005 05:09

The command executed to link the binary maybe:
g++ -Wsign-compare -Wsign-compare -Wall -pipe -o vlc src/vlc-vlc.o lib/libvlc.a
./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_rgb_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi422_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_ymga_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmxext.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpy3dn.a ./modules/demux/liblivedotcom.a ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a ./modules/stream_out/libstream_out_switcher.a -L/usr/local/lib -g -lrt -lpthread -ldl -lm -L/home/winddy/vlc/vlc_0.8.2/vlc-0.8.2/live/UsageEnvironment -lUsageEnvironment -L/home/winddy/vlc/vlc_0.8.2/vlc-0.8.2/live/groupsock -lgroupsock -L/home/winddy/vlc/vlc_0.8.2/vlc-0.8.2/live/BasicUsageEnvironment -lBasicUsageEnvironment -L/home/winddy/vlc/vlc_0.8.2/vlc-0.8.2/live/liveMedia -lliveMedia -L/home/winddy/vlc/vlc_0.8.2/vlc-0.8.2/ffmpeg-20041113/libavformat /home/winddy/vlc/vlc_0.8.2/vlc-0.8.2/ffmpeg-20041113/libavformat/libavformat.a -L/home/winddy/vlc/vlc_0.8.2/vlc-0.8.2/ffmpeg-20041113/libavcodec /home/winddy/vlc/vlc_0.8.2/vlc-0.8.2/ffmpeg-20041113/libavcodec/libavcodec.a -lz -lm

I think this is what you mean ,right?
:)

arvind_sisodia@yahoo.com

customize vlc only to play the mp3 player

Postby arvind_sisodia@yahoo.com » 19 Sep 2005 09:49

customize vlc only to play the mp3 .....i have disabled most of other support like libmpeg and other supporting library. But still its playing mpeg stream how can configure the vlc only and only for mp3 codec .
.. /configure --enable-skins2 --disable-pda --enable-wxwidgets --disable-opie --disable-macosx --disable-qnx --disable-ncurses --disable-xosd --enable-visual --disable-goom --disable-slp --disable-lirc --disable-joystick --disable-corba --disable-livedotcom --disable-dvdread --enable-dvdnav --disable-dshow --disable-dvbpsi --disable-v4l --disable-pvr --disable-vcd --disable-satellite --disable-dvb --disable-ogg --disable-mkv --disable-mod --disable-libcdio --disable-vcdx --disable-cddax --disable-libcddb --disable-x11 --disable-xvideo --disable-glx --disable-fb --disable-mga --disable-sdl --enable-freetype --disable-fribidi --disable-svg --disable-qte --disable-hd1000v --disable-directx --disable-wingdi --disable-svgalib --disable-ggi --disable-glide --disable-aa --disable-caca --enable-oss --disable-esd --disable-arts --disable-alsa --disable-waveout --disable-coreaudio --disable-hd1000a --enable-mad --disable-ffmpeg --disable-faad --disable-quicktime --disable-a52 --disable-dts --disable-flac --disable-libmpeg2 --disable-vorbis --disable-tremor --disable-speex --disable-tarkin --disable-theora --disable-cmml --disable-utf8 --disable-pth --disable-st --disable-gprof --disable-cprof --disable-mozilla --disable-testsuite --disable-optimizations --disable-altivec --enable-release --enable-sout --disable-galaktos --disable-httpd

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”