Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Unable to use VAAPI

Postby bsmith1051 » 23 Dec 2010 22:05

My system:
  • - Ubuntu 10.10 (32-bit)
    - AMD 785 mobo w HD4200 video
    - ATI Catalyst 10.12 driver
    - libva1, libva-dev, libva1-dbg, and xvba-video (v.0.7.6) from splitted-desktop
    (I had to overwrite the 'official' copy of libva1 else xvba-video wouldn't work, at all)
When I run 'vainfo' I get the following:

Code: Select all

libva: libva version 0.31.1-sds1 Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0". libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0 libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so libva: va_openDriver() returns 0 vainfo: VA API version: 0.31 vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.6 vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointIDCT VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointIDCT VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
So, at this point it seems like everything's working. But then I am unable to get either VLC or XBMC to recognize/use the VAAPI support. Something else is missing but I have no idea what. When I run VLC with '--verbose 2' all it tells me is:

Code: Select all

libva: va_getDriverName() returns -1 avcodec decoder warning: Failed to open VA API
What else can I do to troubleshoot this?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Unable to use VAAPI

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Dec 2010 01:39

Is the vlc compiled against the right libva version?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”