Audio drops after about 1.25 hours into playback

*nix specific usage questions
imatechguy
New Cone
New Cone

Audio drops after about 1.25 hours into playback

Postby imatechguy » 15 Jun 2010 22:53

I've installed version 1.0.6-8 straight from the Arch Community repo. My steps are pretty simple, I load up a DVD, open VLC, click the movie menu "play" icon and then click the record button from the Advanced Controls menu and walk away. The movie plays fine, screensaver is disabled and I can hear sound until I click the record button to stop the recording process. Everything seems fine but when I go to play the file that is created the audio only seems to work for the first hour and 15 minutes or so. No matter how much further I scroll into the movie with the progress slider there is no sound whatsoever as the movie continues to play. I'm using xine for playback.

I've been able to reproduced this multiple times on two different DVDs so any help or even insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

purevw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Audio drops after about 1.25 hours into playback

Postby purevw » 16 Jun 2010 06:46

I have the identical problem. The entire audio of the DVD plays fine during playback, but if I replay the recording, the last part of the audio isn't there. I assumed that the missing audio would have been from the last VOB file from the DVD to play, but that is only a guess. Hope someone has suggestions.

purevw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby purevw » 17 Jun 2010 03:12

Just to add a little info, not all DVDs fail to record properly. Several have been fine. But the ones that fail; fail regardless of which computer I use and which operating system (Opensuse 11.2 or Windows XP Pro) I use. I run both operationg systems on both computers and I have tried the same disk on all.

rorymf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rorymf » 04 Aug 2010 07:28

i have the same problem, which is occuring only on recent releases

pondo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pondo » 05 Oct 2010 03:24

I've run into this quite a bit and its really annoying. I have traced it back to the end of the first layer in a double layer DVD. Or the beginning of the second layer... (are you a half full or half empty type) Does not happen on all double layer DVDs. These are all commercially recorded DVD's. Running Ubuntu 10.04 fully up to date. VLC 1.0.6 on 64 bit architecture. Really would like to know what the issue is. Help! :-(
Pondo

georgesdev
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.7
Operating System: Fedora

Postby georgesdev » 06 Dec 2010 20:56

Same problem here. It was a nice feature to be able to backup a few of my dvds for viewing on the train, but not anymore!
Does someone know the bug number?
Georges

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”