gimzo
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.1.4
Operating System: Linux

Multitrack video

Postby gimzo » 21 Sep 2010 10:48

Hi.
I have a matroska video with multiple video tracks, and vlc opens multiple video windows and plays them all in sync. It is great, and vlc is the only player I found that supports this.
The problem is, when I want to do something with any of those windows (zoom/fullscreen) it applies to main window, not currently selected one.
Other thing is, I can't maximize one window on a single display and another window on another display(because only main window goes to fullscreen, on one display), this works as it should with "normal" videos using wall or clone outputs, but not here.
So, am I doing it wrong? Is it a bug? Will it be fixed? Can I help?

Thanks

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Re: Multitrack video

Postby erwan10 » 21 Sep 2010 14:01

A long-standing design issue with hotkeys, and unfortunately nothing the user can really do to work around it.

As it is done today, hotkeys are never tied to any video window or widget. vlc core only gets informed that a hotkey has been pressed. No information is transmitted about the context such as which window/widget had the focus. This results in vlc always processing hotkeys on the first available video, not the one the user thought he/she was interacting with.

imo, a solution could be to extend vout_window subsytem, let GUIs (qt, skins, libvlc,...) as vout window provider report hotkeys events to their respective vout internal object. Then process hotkeys bottom up (vout, input, playlist or media player, instance) instead of top down. For audio-only item or for focus given to a window/widget not related to video, GUI could report directly at the input level (input, playlist/media player, instance).

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”