VLC Lockup During Long-term Stream

*nix specific usage questions
TuxBobble
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC Lockup During Long-term Stream

Postby TuxBobble » 06 Jul 2010 17:02

I'm trying to use VLC to stream multicast RTP across a network. It is running on an x64 Windows 7 machine, and streaming out just fine. I can receive the stream on all computers in question--2 Windows (x86) machines, and 2 Ubuntu (x86) machines. At the start of the stream, all 4 systems are "equal" in the sense that they don't appear different at all. I had been using VLC 1.06 for Ubuntu but have also tried updating to 1.1.0, and both behave the same way.

HOWEVER, I have found that after a long period of time, the Ubuntu machines tend to fail. The VLC gui locks up, and the video hangs on a single frame. What's even more peculiar is that the Ubuntu machines hang on the SAME FRAME. (At least, it appears to be--it's definitely within ~5 frames, though) I have started them as far apart as a half hour, and eventually they both still lock up at the same time. I don't believe the error occurs before the first 10+ hours of running VLC, but in any case, it needs to be resolved.

The Windows machines never have these issues, and they continue to run just fine despite the Ubuntu VLC lockups. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it, but I can't think of anything that might cause this. I'm currently beginning to investigate codecs, but right now I'm trying to use h264 video with mp4a for audio. I don't THINK that should cause any issue with Ubuntu, but I'm not that familiar with audio codecs, so I could be wrong. In any event, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. For reference:

The stream command I'm using is something like:
(Leaving out the dshow parameters, since I assume nothing should be wrong there and that the transcode is somehow the issue here...

Code: Select all

start vlc.exe dshow:// :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=1400,fps=30,height=480,width=854,acodec=mp4a,ab=96,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:rtp{dst=239.255.12.42,port=5004,mux=ts} :no-sout-rtp-sap :no-sout-standard-sap :sout-keep
And the receive command is:

Code: Select all

vlc -f --aspect-ratio=16:9 --repeat playlist.m3u
Playlist.m3u contains the rtp stream, as well as a video which we can press "next" to play, but we haven't been doing that at this time, so it should be irrelevant.

If anyone has ANY suggestions as to why this might cause an issue, please let me know--I'm stumped on this one!

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: VLC Lockup During Long-term Stream

Postby xtophe » 06 Jul 2010 22:41

get vlc log (-vvv), cpu and mem usage
Xtophe

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”