network movies: how to open?

*nix specific usage questions
degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

network movies: how to open?

Postby degarb » 26 Jan 2010 03:12

I need to hit open file>network>videos>series of mp4s This is easy in windows, but in ubuntu, I don't see the network.

I am new to linux--and file system was written by a satist-, so where do they hide the network?

degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: network movies: how to open?

Postby degarb » 26 Jan 2010 04:03

Just to clarify, Yes I can find network and movie directly in file explorer equivalent. I can right click on file and tell it to open with vlc (still too new to know how to set file associations to fix this). But this is no good, since I cannot setup the disk caching in vlc. Moreover, i cannot setup a good queue, which is essential for some movies may have 5 parts or the like. When I click open file in vlc, it shows me everything on my computer, even filesystem, just no smb:/mynetwork/videofiles like in the file explorer equivalent. But if I can explore the file system, I am guessing the network is buried in some sub folder, as seems the case in the confusing linux file system (designed by some unix sadistic geek back in 1985 for techies not consumers/endrant.)

degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby degarb » 26 Jan 2010 20:10

To answer my own question: you need to install smbfs Then the network should show up under home/.gvfs

This should be fixed since this makes no sense.

Also the gui is not clear if bumping up priority raises or lowers the priority. In the system monitor, you must lower the priority number to raise the process priority.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 26 Jan 2010 21:39

You need to mount the network filesystem with Linux CIFS if you want to see it in the Open File dialog.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby degarb » 26 Jan 2010 22:32

You need to mount the network filesystem with Linux CIFS if you want to see it in the Open File dialog.
Newbie, so not aware of Linux CIFS yet. I was able to install smfs in ubuntu. And, intuitvely (not), I see it now in home/.gvfs directory.

What about the priority? does a positive number raise or lower priority? (lowering number in sysmonitor, raises priority.) Nothing in mouse over tip.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”