vlc 0.9.9 on opensuse 10.3

*nix specific usage questions
lfark
New Cone
New Cone

vlc 0.9.9 on opensuse 10.3

Postby lfark » 07 Apr 2009 03:12

i just upgraded to 0.9.9 and i get a scrunched video output (quarter screen, bad aspect). where can i get the previous version of the yast installer? i already tried to fix the new version but nothing works.

thx

Mantaman
New Cone
New Cone

Re: vlc 0.9.9 on opensuse 10.3

Postby Mantaman » 10 Apr 2009 20:34

You are not alone. The last version I had that worked on my 10.3 Suse OS was 0.8.6. VLC has been progressively crippled by dependencies created by libdvdcss2, where the original libdvdcss worked fine. I have repeatedly failed to retrofit 0.8.6 and the original libdvdcss but without success. It was a good product; then it was reduced to playing 2 second clips, now 9.9 won't even fire up. The option to retrofit just doesn't seem to be on offer, I wish that I could help. Sorry.

dimstar
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby dimstar » 22 Apr 2009 21:57

You are not alone. The last version I had that worked on my 10.3 Suse OS was 0.8.6. VLC has been progressively crippled by dependencies created by libdvdcss2, where the original libdvdcss worked fine. I have repeatedly failed to retrofit 0.8.6 and the original libdvdcss but without success. It was a good product; then it was reduced to playing 2 second clips, now 9.9 won't even fire up. The option to retrofit just doesn't seem to be on offer, I wish that I could help. Sorry.
libdvdcss2 is ONLY loaded when it comes to decoding DVDs and in no other case. Libdvdcss2 did actually not have an update in a long time and has been the same version in the 0.8.6 times.

If there is need, I can try to provide 0.8.6 packages in parallel, but it might take some time.

For openSUSE 10.3 on the other hand: be prepared: VLC 1.0 will NOT be available for this platform (due to a bug in glibc)

dimstar

Postby dimstar » 22 Apr 2009 21:58

i just upgraded to 0.9.9 and i get a scrunched video output (quarter screen, bad aspect). where can i get the previous version of the yast installer? i already tried to fix the new version but nothing works.

thx
Did you try the different video output modules?

Mantaman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mantaman » 15 May 2009 23:00

Thank you dimstar for your reply. As I said, VLC is(was!) a good product; it's just frustrating that an update killed it for me; this is the kind of problem that drove me from Windows! Is it not possible to "freeze" a product for those who do not require more than they have, and offer that option, at least in an archive? I'm happy with SuSe 10.3, and it seems extreme to upgrade to 11.0 for the sake of one media player. I applaud your work. If I could do any of it, I wouldn't be having a problem! Mantaman.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”