VLC for SLED 10

*nix specific usage questions
jluquette
New Cone
New Cone

VLC for SLED 10

Postby jluquette » 07 Sep 2006 05:26

Could anyone explain to me how to roll my own rpm for installation of VLC on my SLED 10 OS? Also, can it be used on a 64 bit system?

Upyr
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC for SLED 10

Postby Upyr » 22 Feb 2009 03:17

Hey, I found the following Packman repository on an openSUSE forum to install on SLED 10 SP2

Packman
protocol - HTTP
server name - packman.unixheads.com
Directories - suse/10.1/

From there I installed VLC, i skipped all missing dependencies and it installed allright. I think the missing dependencies are only to decode Matroska files. Doing so I downloaded some avi files and the player played them well :D

dimstar
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: VLC for SLED 10

Postby dimstar » 24 Feb 2009 18:36

Latest versions of VLC (so the 0.9 tree) are not simple to get to work on SLE10, as SLE10 was shipped with 'outdated' Qt4 libs... of course SLE was not shipped outdated, but due to the long life cycle and the rapid development, it is no longer trivial to build VLC on the SLE platform.

The best I can suggest you: try to stick to some 0.8.6 release or try grabbing later Qt libs. In both ways you will have your own set of problem I'm afraid.

If you have a little bit of time: SLE11 should be released not to far in the future. I'll probably be able to provide packages for that platform again, as soon as it's available.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”