issues in compiling VLC 9.8a

*nix specific usage questions
Saurabh Thakkar
New Cone
New Cone

issues in compiling VLC 9.8a

Postby Saurabh Thakkar » 22 Dec 2008 10:44

Dear Experts,

I am trying to compile VLC in CENT OS. I am using following configuration file :

./configure '--enable-x11' '--enable-xvideo' '--enable-gtk' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--with-ffmpeg-mp3lame' '--disable-mad' '--enable-libdvbpsi' '--disable-a52' '--disable-libmpeg2' '--enable-dvdnav' '--disable-faad' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-ogg' '--disable-theora' '--enable-faac--enable-mkv' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-speex' '--enable-flac' '--enable-caca' '--enable-skins' '--disable-skins2' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-kde--enable-qt' '--disable-wxwindows' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-release' '--disable-swscale' '--disable-dbus' '--disable-avcodec' '--disable-avformat' '--disable-postproc' '--disable-qt4' '--disable-v4l2'

I am getting following error :

configure: WARNING: only static linking is available, you must provide a gme-tree
checking id3tag.h usability... no
checking id3tag.h presence... no
checking for id3tag.h... no
checking for AVFORMAT... Package libavformat was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libavformat.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libavformat' found
no
configure: error: Could not find libavformat or libavutil. Use --disable-avformat to ignore this error.
See `config.log' for more details.

Thanking you in advance !!

dimstar
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: issues in compiling VLC 9.8a

Postby dimstar » 22 Dec 2008 14:02

Exactly as the message suggests, you're missing avformat support on your system

This would be provided by ffmpeg devel packages (libffmpeg-dev, ffmpeg-devel or something similar).

You have --enable-ffmpeg in your configure line... this probably excludes --disable-avcodec and --disable-avformat

Saurabh Thakkar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Saurabh Thakkar » 22 Dec 2008 14:13

Hi Dimstar,

After disabling avcodec and avformat I can successfully compile VLC. But when I try to run a mpeg file from the player launched, no audio or video is played.

Can you please suggest the solution to this.

Thanks in advance!!

dimstar

Postby dimstar » 22 Dec 2008 15:00

If I'm not mistaken, disabling ffmpeg (thus avcodec and avformat) is not the best idea, if you actually want to decode anything.

almost all codecs are forwarded to ffmpeg. so without this you have a nice interface without much function.

Saurabh Thakkar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Saurabh Thakkar » 23 Dec 2008 07:35

I have enabled ffmpeg but when I enable avcodec and avformat I receive the same error message which I have posted in my first post. I have installed the devel packages as mentioned my you, but problem is still there.

Please help. If you need some more information about my set up do let me know.

Thanks in advance

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”