how to install latest vlc source with mozilla plugin [fixed]

*nix specific usage questions
rarchive
New Cone
New Cone

how to install latest vlc source with mozilla plugin [fixed]

Postby rarchive » 16 Jul 2008 09:59

Helo

I want to know if I can install the vlc 0.9.test3 (the latest nightly build) source code as mozilla plugin. everytime i do

"sudo apt-get install mozilla-plugin-vlc" it installs the 0.8.6e version from somewhere in the default Ubuntu repositories. i want to override this default installation.

pls help! :-|
Last edited by rarchive on 16 Jul 2008 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9.8a & 1.0-git
Operating System: GNU/Linux Fedora10

Re: how to install latest vlc source with mozilla plugin

Postby thannoy » 16 Jul 2008 10:27

To get latest VLC and vlc-mozilla-plugin, you will need to uninstall VLC packages installed through apt before using 0.9.0-test*. Ubuntu repositories do not contains unstable VLC releases and at each update in the repositories, your manual install will be overwitten by stable releases (0.8.6* for now).

As I have just written, I think you will need to use a manual compile and install, from sources. You can also try videolan repositories, see http://nightlies.videolan.org.

Compiling the source code, the wiki will help you, here are some links:
http://wiki.videolan.org/UnixCompile
http://wiki.videolan.org/Contrib_Status (to help finding missing packages during bootstrap or configure)

For my own, I use libxul-dev package to feed ./configure with Firefox developpment headers. Here is my ./configure (you can strip it of course, and use ./configure --help to know which arguments are valid):

Code: Select all

./configure '--with-mozilla-sdk-path=/usr/lib/xulrunner/sdk' --disable-optimizations \ --with-ffmpeg-tree=extras/ffmpeg \ --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac \ --with-ffmpeg-vorbis \ --with-ffmpeg-x264 --with-ffmpeg-a52 \ --prefix=/usr --enable-snapshot --enable-smb \ --enable-x11 \ --enable-mozilla \ --enable-activex \ --enable-xvideo \ --enable-gtk \ --enable-sdl \ --enable-ffmpeg \ --with-libmp3lame \ --enable-mad \ --enable-libdvbpsi \ --enable-a52 \ --enable-libmpeg2 \ --enable-dvdnav \ --enable-vorbis \ --enable-ogg \ --enable-theora \ --enable-faac \ --enable-mkv \ --enable-freetype \ --enable-fribidi \ --enable-speex \ --enable-flac \ --enable-caca \ --enable-skins \ --disable-skins2 \ --enable-alsa \ --enable-debug \ --disable-kde \ --enable-qt4 \ --disable-wxwindows \ --disable-wxwidgets \ --enable-ncurses \ --enable-release \ --enable-v4l \ --enable-live555 \ --enable-dvb
NB: wrong indent in my past and some not-needed flags like "--enable-activex" (don't think it actually do somethink while compiling for Linux) or others already enabled by default parameters. You can begin with a very stripped call to ./configure and extend it when needed.

NB2: I recently added my --with-ffmpeg* flags to use a locally compiled ffmpeg. I suggest you to use a precompiled ffmpeg (installing packages libav*-dev and libpostproc*-dev)

NB3: I use a --prefix=/usr. So "make install" will install VLC based on /usr. Mozilla plugin should go to /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/ or /usr/lib/<other-browser>/plugins/. You can also let --prefix as default (/usr/local) and move the vlcplugin.so to your actual browser plugin directory.

rarchive
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rarchive » 16 Jul 2008 11:51

ok i followed the instructions, it does install 0.9.0-test3 Grishenko as media player but no "libvlcplugin.so" file generated on make install, how can i generate that ? as the about:plugins in firefox showing no plugins installed :?

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby thannoy » 16 Jul 2008 12:21

Check your ./configure parameters and result.

You can launch it like this:

./configure your params here 2>&1 3>&1 4>&1 5>&1 |tee logfile.log
(not all redirection are needed I think, nevermind)

Then:
- is "mozilla" listed in the table at the end of ./configure output? It should.
- if not, search for "mozilla" substring in log file to get info about what goes wrong (like not found required header which could lead to mozilla-pluging being ingnored)

rarchive
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rarchive » 16 Jul 2008 13:11

Check your ./configure parameters and result.

You can launch it like this:

./configure your params here 2>&1 3>&1 4>&1 5>&1 |tee logfile.log
(not all redirection are needed I think, nevermind)

Then:
- is "mozilla" listed in the table at the end of ./configure output? It should.
- if not, search for "mozilla" substring in log file to get info about what goes wrong (like not found required header which could lead to mozilla-pluging being ingnored)
it does show mozilla as
config.status: creating libs/srtp/Makefile
config.status: creating modules/Makefile
config.status: creating projects/mozilla/Makefile
config.status: creating m4/Makefile
config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
but at the end output is

........ config.status: creating vlc-config Enabled modules : access_mmap hal probe_hal dbus telepathy inhibit dummy stats logger memcpy mpgv mpga m4v m4a h264 cdg ps avi asf mp4 cvdsub svcdsub spudec subsdec subsusf t140 dvbsub cc cinepak araw adpcm mpeg_audio lpcm a52 dts flac deinterlace invert adjust transform wave ripple psychedelic gradient motionblur rv32 rotate noise grain extract sharpen seamcarving croppadd canvas blendbench blend scale image vmem logo magnify puzzle colorthres playlist export nsc xtag converter_fixed mono trivial_channel_mixer trivial_resampler ugly_resampler trivial_mixer i420_rgb grey_yuv rawvideo access_filter_timeshift access_filter_record access_filter_dump access_filter_bandwidth spatializer gestures rc hotkeys showintf marq podcast shout sap fake folder rss mosaic wall motiondetect clone crop erase bluescreen alphamask gaussianblur i420_yuy2 i422_yuy2 i420_ymga i422_i420 yuy2_i422 yuy2_i420 chain aout_file linear_resampler bandlimited_resampler float32_mixer spdif_mixer simple_channel_mixer dolby_surround_decoder headphone_channel_mixer normvol equalizer param_eq scaletempo converter_float a52tospdif dtstospdif audio_format screensaver motion dynamicoverlay signals memcpymmx i420_rgb_mmx i420_yuy2_mmx i422_yuy2_mmx i420_ymga_mmx memcpymmxext i420_rgb_sse2 i420_yuy2_sse2 i422_yuy2_sse2 memcpy3dn http telnet growl_udp notify audioscrobbler live555 dvdread dvdnav access_smb ts mux_ts v4l2 vcd cdda dvb dvb screen ogg mux_ogg mkv mod mpc mpgatofixed32 id3tag avcodec avformat imgresample postproc a52tofloat32 libmpeg2 vorbis speex png osdmenu osd_parser telx cmml panoramix x11 xvideo glx opengl opengl vout_sdl aout_sdl sdl_image freetype xml fb oss pulse alsa skins2 qt4 visual atmo bonjour gnutls remoteosd libvlc configuration -------------------- version : 0.9.0-test3 system : linux architecture : i686 mmx sse sse2 build flavour : devel vlc aliases : cvlc rvlc svlc qvlc plugins/bindings : You can tune the compiler flags in vlc-config. To build vlc and its plugins, type `./compile' or `make'.
and nothing has gone wrong with 'mozilla'

still no luck

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby thannoy » 16 Jul 2008 13:42

"plugins/bindings" line should give you "mozilla" :-(
I also think the "Enable modules" list should display mozilla plugin.

Which parameters do you give to ./configure? Do you give it the --enable-mozilla and --with-mozilla-sdk-path= parameters? Do you have /usr/lib/xulrunner/sdk directory on your system? (I think I got it when installing the package libxul-dev)

What is the result of

grep -i mozilla logfile.log

grep -i sdk logfile.log

grep -i plugin logfile.log
or

grep -i xul logfile.log
?

rarchive
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rarchive » 16 Jul 2008 15:18

ok its working now, i configured with ./configure --enable-mozilla
and then installed libXpm-dev which needs the X11/xmp.h file.

thanks for all the help :)

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby thannoy » 16 Jul 2008 15:30

cool.

Could you prefix the topic subject by "[fixed] " or a string saying its fixed? This is not often done here but a good habit in my opinion :-)
_anthony

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”