DVB-T (h.264) viewing and transcoding issues

*nix specific usage questions
Spice_Boy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

DVB-T (h.264) viewing and transcoding issues

Postby Spice_Boy » 28 Apr 2008 23:52

Here in Poland the DVB-T transmissions are h.264. I have VLC serving the tv stations very well, but there are 2 problems.

1. When using VLC as a client (Windows or Linux) there is blockyness on moving parts one some of the channels. I've heard things about paff and b frames being talked about, but can't say 100% that that's what it is. Even checking a recorded transport stream file and playing it with the latest ffmpeg it still doesn't play correctly on those particular channels. CoreAVC plays them fine, so it does seem to be an issue with ffmpeg. ffmpeg can apparantly decode paff, but doesn't seem to be doing something right.

2. I want to transcode this live DVB to another format to save on bandwidth and processing requirements of the client. It can't seem to do it live, only from a recorded file. Is it supposed to be able to?

I'm using Slax 6 for the server, and either Slax 6 or windows for the client. (only the nightly build of the windows version has some hope of decoded h.264, but still same not-perfect results)

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”