Need heap with VLC in OpenSUSE 10.3

*nix specific usage questions
D-to
New Cone
New Cone

Need heap with VLC in OpenSUSE 10.3

Postby D-to » 11 Oct 2007 19:00

O.K. so i clicked on the install link in there http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-suse.html but VLC doesn't start. What should i do. I need help, by the way I'm new to OpenSUSE.

dimstar
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Need heap with VLC in OpenSUSE 10.3

Postby dimstar » 12 Oct 2007 14:15

Hello,

when you clicked that link, was there an installer starting? (the Yast Meta Package Handler) or were you only asked to download a *.ymp file?

D-to
New Cone
New Cone

Postby D-to » 12 Oct 2007 22:08

I used the i386 dvd distro and I haven't changed any of the packages. I registered a repository for VLC in Yast and I tried to install it and there was some conflict with the dependencies of ffmpeg components. When I sow this I marked ignore the conflict or something like that because I don't remember the exact text of the options I did select. The installation started and every thing seems to be O.K. so I started an AVI file and VLC doesn't start at all. It also doesn't start when I run the VLC executable. After that I uninstalled VLC packages, and installed it again, and there were not any dependencies conflicts. The overall effect was the same VLC still doesn't start.

dimstar

Postby dimstar » 13 Oct 2007 16:24

Hi,

ignoring depencdency problems and conflicts in yast almost always renders the one or other software useless; that's what for the dependencies are there: to give you a good, stable system, but it only works as long as you respect it.

I assume you also have at least some other repositories added to your system that caused the conflict (ffmpeg in particular is not part of openSUSE).

Please post me the output of several commands:

Code: Select all

vlc -vvv rpm -qa | grep vlc ffmpeg libmpeg2 ls -la /etc/zypp/repos.d
Thank you.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”