*nix specific usage questions
jchambers
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.8.x 0.9.x
Operating System: Windows / Linux

vlc-beta / libstdc++.so.6 / install ??

Postby jchambers » 05 Sep 2007 02:03

Ok I am really close to intalling the beta version but I ran into this issue.

Here is what I installed so far.

Code: Select all

package a52dec-0.7.4-2.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package faac-1.25-2.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package faad2-2.5-2.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package lame-3.97-3.2 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libdts-0.0.2.35-1.2 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libdvbpsi-0.1.5-1.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libdvdcss-1.2.9-5.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libmad-0.15.1b-2.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libmodplug-0.8.4-1.2 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libmpeg2-0.4.1.1149-3.1 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package live555-2007.01.11-1.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package x264-0.54.598-2.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package xvidcore-1.1.3-2.2 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package ffmpeg-0.4.9.9778-4.2 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package a52dec-devel-0.7.4-2.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package faac-devel-1.25-2.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package faad2-devel-2.5-2.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package lame-devel-3.97-3.2 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libdts-devel-0.0.2.35-1.2 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libdvbpsi-devel-0.1.5-1.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libdvdcss-devel-1.2.9-5.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libmad-devel-0.15.1b-2.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libmpeg2-devel-0.4.1.1149-3.1 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package xvidcore-devel-1.1.3-2.2 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package x264-devel-0.54.598-2.3 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package ffmpeg-devel-0.4.9.9778-4.2 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package vcdimager-0.7.23-5.fc6 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## package libdca-0.0.5-1.fc7 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## warning: /usr/src/VLC/libstdc++6-3.4.1-4mdk.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 70771ff3 file /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 from install of libstdc++6-3.4.1-4mdk conflicts with file from package libstdc++-4.1.2-13.fc6 Preparing... ################################################## package libstdc++-4.1.2-13.fc6 is already installed Preparing... ################################################## error: Failed dependencies: libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.9) is needed by vlc-beta-0.9.0-21586.1.i586

warning: /usr/src/VLC/libstdc++6-3.4.1-4mdk.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 70771ff3
file /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 from install of libstdc++6-3.4.1-4mdk conflicts with file from package libstdc++-4.1.2-13.fc6

libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.9) is needed by vlc-beta-0.9.0-21586.1.i586

As you can see I only need to intall libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.9) .

When I try and erase that package to reistall it most of the system will be erased with it.
How do I get around this?

Code: Select all

# find / -name "libstdc++.so.6" /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
So the file does exist, do I need to copy it to another location?

Thanks,
Jon
none for now

dimstar
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: vlc-beta / libstdc++.so.6 / install ??

Postby dimstar » 06 Sep 2007 13:26

John,

well, from reading your output I would say you make a small mess on your system.
What distribution are you using? I can see references to Mandrake (*.mdk*.rpm), Fedora 6 and 7 and the RPMs you seem to try to install are prepared for openSUSE.

I'm not really sure what you try to achieve there is ever going to work.

Even though many of the RPMs might work, it is not guaranteed at all. The 'missing' you get there is from a special exported Symbol from the file, to ensure the right version of it. RPM does not check on the file existance, so copying to another location is not helping at all. RPM only reads its own database.. which is probably already completely messed up by now.

If you really want to continue like this, you can try installing with rpm --nodeps; but I can really not tell you if this is going to work.

As an adviuce for the future: try to stick with RPMs prepared for your distribution. Only like this you can guarantee a good functional system.

Dominique

jchambers
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.8.x 0.9.x
Operating System: Windows / Linux

Re: vlc-beta / libstdc++.so.6 / install ??

Postby jchambers » 07 Sep 2007 02:02

Thank you for the information Dominique.
I will not try to install that package.

I installed vlc using --nodeps and it seems to work so far... < crossing my fingers />

Jon
none for now

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”