main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module m...

*nix specific usage questions
jaaames
New Cone
New Cone

main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module m...

Postby jaaames » 22 Mar 2007 05:38

I've been using the VLC media player for a while now, and I certainly prefer it to anything found on any platform for playing media. Previously I was running both FC5 and Ubuntu 6.10, and VLC worked fine. I built it myself, compiled, worked flawlessly. However, since I switched to SuSE 10.1, things have not been so well. I built wxWidgets (2.6.3) myself, installed without a hitch. I went to build VLC, and it worked, however, whenever I run it, none of the dialogs (preferences, info, etc) come up. I ran from the terminal, and recieved this message:

Code: Select all

[00000286] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module matched "any" [00000283] skins2 interface error: no suitable dialogs provider found (hint: compile the wxWidgets plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly) [00000283] skins2 interface: skin: VLC 0.8.5 Default Skin author: aLtgLasS
After doing some research and reading posts on this and other forums, I learned to properly compile VLC, wxWidgets must be passed the --enable-unicode --with-x11 arguments. While the first one worked on it's own, with the latter included, it returned an error message about a missing header file on some abstract line of a file deep within the directory tree. I'm really lost with this problem, and just really want VLC working and functioning on my computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

mhinton
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mhinton » 22 Mar 2007 18:05

I've observed the exact same behaviors. VLC installed and runs without error on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy), even on PPC platform. But on my IBM Thinkpad, running Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 4, I see precisely the same errors at runtime that you do:

VLC media player 0.8.6a Janus
[00000291] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module matched "any"
[00000288] skins2 interface error: no suitable dialogs provider found (hint: compile the wxWidgets plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly)
[00000288] skins2 interface: skin: VLC 0.8.5 Default Skin author: aLtgLasS
[00000358] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module matched "any"
[00000288] skins2 interface error: no suitable dialogs provider found (hint: compile the wxWidgets plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly)
[00000359] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module matched "any"

Any button that would invoke a dialog brings up these errors. Does anyone have a hint as to the nature of the problem, or a suggested resolution?

--mark

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 23 Mar 2007 00:35

vlc -vvv --color --no-plugins-cache --list |grep wx
will tell us if it has trouble loading the wx intf module

check if you have a libwxwidget_plugin.so somewhere
Xtophe

mhinton
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mhinton » 23 Mar 2007 14:56

Aha. As it turns out, I had installed version 2.8.x of wxWidgets, and vlc was apparently most unhappy with that. I dropped back to a 2.6 release for wxWidgets, and vlc now appears to be running correctly.

Hmmm. Where could we document that dependency (since most folks will end up with the latest wxWidgets by default if loading manually from a repository)?

--mark

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 24 Mar 2007 00:18

If you built VLC yourself, it's your own fault if you uninstall (or upgrade with soname change) libraries your programs depends of.
If you install from your distro, their package or package manager is brocken and you should report that to them.

You should be able to have libwxgtk2.6 and 2.8 installed at the same time.
Xtophe

fiberfox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fiberfox » 19 Apr 2007 13:52

I do the vlc -vvv -color ... CMD:
then I got messages below:

VLC media player 0.8.6a Janus starting VLC root wrapper... using UID 0 (root) *************************************** * Running VLC as root is discouraged. * *************************************** It is potentially dangerous, and might not even work properly. [00000001] main private debug: checking builtin modules [00000001] main private debug: checking plugin modules [00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `modules' [00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `/usr/local/lib/vlc' [00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `plugins' [00000001] main private debug: module bank initialized, found 206 modules wxwidgets wxWidgets interface module wxwidgets wxWidgets dialogs provider
I think compiling wx after make install you need run ldconfig to active libwxs.
And then I eliminated dialog provder error.
But got another error:when I change skin from wx to skins2 Segmentation fault
Last edited by fiberfox on 26 Apr 2007 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

dimstar
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby dimstar » 20 Apr 2007 15:52

If you built VLC yourself, it's your own fault if you uninstall (or upgrade with soname change) libraries your programs depends of.
If you install from your distro, their package or package manager is brocken and you should report that to them.
The package manager of SuSE (as backend is simply rpm used) detects such a thing and when upgrading wx from 2.6 to 2.8 using the SuSE tools, it would warn about a dependency break of other packages (like VLC) and not upgrade it.

On the other hand, it is to note here, that SuSE would NEVER allow an inter-version-upgrade as a patch solution: the policy is very strict: all security paches get backported to the originally provided version. Version jumps are a no-go.

The VLC-RPMs provided in the VLC-Repos are all built against a stock SuSE version, assuring that no upgrade SuSE is ever going to do would break it.

The problem comes from the so called -'pgraditits', people adding all sorts of repos with more than one feature (like PM and such) and simply let the system upgrade to all newer found packages instead of selecting what exactly they need from such a repo (most add PM for mp3 support)

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”