Audio Device Dropdown greyed out

*nix specific usage questions
andym56
New Cone
New Cone

Audio Device Dropdown greyed out

Postby andym56 » 08 Apr 2010 11:53

I am using VLC on Ubuntu.

I have a Realtek Audio Card with spdif output.

Ubuntu is generally a bit confused and Pulseaudio Device Chooser only sees the Realtek analog part of the card and not the digital part.

However, VLC does the biz when I play a .vob file - it gives me the option to select the audio device and when I select spdif it works a treat - so on some level the card is there.

My problem is that I have a lot of .ts files, and when I run these the audio device option is greyed out, so I can only hear the audio via analog.

Any ideas how I can get the audio from .ts files on spdif?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Audio Device Dropdown greyed out

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 08 Apr 2010 16:53

Please check that the TS files contain audio codecs compatible with SPDIF. That would be the most obvious reason why VLC won't let you select SPDIF.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

andym56
New Cone
New Cone

Postby andym56 » 08 Apr 2010 17:03

I can check on XP (I think) but the curious thing is that I used to run XP Media Centre on the desktop now running Ubuntu. I had not discovered VLC at that point but PowerDVD from Cyberlink always played the .ts files using the SPDIF output. It is the only one I have set up in general.

Doesn't mean the .ts files are "right for SPDIF for VLC" I know, but does suggest the audio on them can be output on SPDIF I think.

Will see what I can find out.

andym56
New Cone
New Cone

Postby andym56 » 08 Apr 2010 17:33

Nope, can't figure out how to check which audio codecs are in the TS files... I know I did have a utility that told me but it is lost in the mists of time :-(

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”