Why does VideoLAN open in "Folder Mode"

macOS specific usage questions
malfromcessnock
New Cone
New Cone

Why does VideoLAN open in "Folder Mode"

Postby malfromcessnock » 02 Mar 2012 08:17

Hey, it's probably not called "Folder Mode" but when you don't know the correct mode for something (?)

I'm using Version 2.0.0 Twoflower (Intel 64bit)

When I first installed this version on my new MBP/Lion I'm sure VideoLAN opened with the small familiar video player but now it opens in what I describe as "Folder" mode. There are a bunch of folders and places in a panel on the left and since "playlist" is the first entry in that panel, the right or main window requests that you drop the file there to begin playing.

Maybe I'm being silly, but I prefer the regular player view.

I've searched preferences and menu items and can't find what to check to take it back to how I remember it when I first downloaded it.

Can you help?

BTW Where can I get the Aqua skin/interface - I believe I can record streamed media using it?

Mal

brucegraphics
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.1.4
Operating System: OS X

Re: Why does VideoLAN open in "Folder Mode"

Postby brucegraphics » 02 Mar 2012 15:05

Currently, this is the new interface. Perhaps there will be a change to the interface in a future releae, but you can always submit a feature request. And as always, you can revert back to 1.1.x from the archives.

To answer your questions: There isn't a direct approach to revert to the pre-2.0 interface but this is what I suggest:

This is achieved by using a nightly build found at nightlies.videolan.org. I am using the 27-Feb-2012 i686 build:
  • -You can detach the video from the main window by going to Preferences > Uncheck "Show video within the main window." Save and restart VLC.
    -Option click the playlist button and the player will collapse into a bar.
    -You can drag and drop videos into the bar and it will play (similar to pre-2.0)
The option click feature is only available in a nightly build (which is slated to become 2.0.1).

If you keep your movies in the Movie folder, then you lose the convenience that is provided with the folder view pane. This feature, at least for me, makes 2.0 better -- to each their own.

As for the Recording feature, in 2.0 there is a Record option in the Playback Menu and it should do what you want.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”