VLC 2.0.0 dimmed saturation

macOS specific usage questions
clip1493
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 2.0.0 dimmed saturation

Postby clip1493 » 28 Feb 2012 14:58

I've noticed that VLC 2.0 for Mac is dimming the saturation for many videos. I've done a test with a fresh video that have been created using Apple Compressor from original footage of a Canon 5DmkII (captured in ProRes422). I edited two test files from Final Cut and sent to Apple Compressor to be rendered in the next formats:

- Quicktime H264 file (extension .mp4), rendered using MPEG StreamClip
- Quicktime H264 file (extension .mp4), rendered using Apple Compressor
- Windows Media (extension wmv), rendered using Apple Compressor

Both files show well when played in VL C 1, as well as Quicktime 7, Mplayer, and even MPEG StreamClip.

When played in VLC 2.0.0 the image looks pretty unsaturated in the case of the files rendered with Apple Compressor, and there is some gamma shift as well (looks brigther). With the file created with MPEG StreamClip the file looks unsaturated, a notable reduction color saturation. Video Effects are turned off on VLC 2.0.0 and settings are set to default.

To match the look of the original footage I've to turn on Video Effects (CMD+E) on VLC 2.0.0 and add an amount of saturation on the 'Saturation' Bar.

I think this is a VLC bug. This issue can not be reproduced on other players, even VLC 1.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC 2.0.0 dimmed saturation

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Feb 2012 18:31

PLease share screenshots.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Anamon
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 2.0.0 dimmed saturation

Postby Anamon » 03 Aug 2012 01:02

I have noticed the same. This is probably a video card driver issue.
To the original poster: try going to VLC's video options and disabling "use hardware conversions from YUV to RGB"
I am currently using an nVIDIA GTX 570, but have had the same issue with the ATI Radeon HD 4870 I used before.

Edit: An alternative (and more universal/permanent) fix is by changing the setting from the video driver side.

If you're on an nVIDIA card, open the nVIDIA control panel and go to video colour settings. There, choose "with NVIDIA settings", go to the tab "Advanced", and from the listbox "Dynamic Range" switch from Limited (16-235) to Full (0-255).

If you're on an ATI card, open Catalyst Control Center, go to the Video > Color subsection, and under Advanced Video Color put a Check on Dynamic Range and select Full (0-255) instead of Limited (16-235).

That being said, I'm not entirely sure what's the reasoning behind both manufacturers setting the limited range as default, since it quite messes up the picture.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”