macOS specific usage questions
Wizardling
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Current
Operating System: Mac OS X

VLC[812] Media key event tap was disabled by timeout

Postby Wizardling » 07 Jun 2011 23:28

"VLC[812] Media key event tap was disabled by timeout" <-I keep seeing that in Console every time I mouseclick and it fails to register the first time, which only happens when the new v1.1.10 of VLC is running.

To be specific:

1) While VLC 1.1.10 is running, I click somewhere I haven't for a few seconds. Another app, another part of the same app, the Dock, menus, wherever. Any click anywhere in any app or part of OSX.

2) The click fails to do anything.

3) "VLC[812] Media key event tap was disabled by timeout" appears in Console.

4) I click a second time in the same place. The second click works.

5) I quit VLC. The problem goes away.

Anyone know why VLC is getting in the way of mouseclicks?

Mid-2007 24" 2.8GHz iMac, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro 256MB VRAM, OSX 10.6.7, USB Overdrive 10.4.8 mouse driver, Razer DeathAdder mouse.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson)

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: VLC[812] Media key event tap was disabled by timeout

Postby fkuehne » 08 Jun 2011 00:24

Thanks for your report. I didn't notice this in my tests.

Are you still able to produce this problem after disabling "Control playback with media keys" in the Interface category of VLC's preferences? Additionally, do you have software installed which modifies Mac OS X default behavior? (aka any haxies, custom themes, etc.)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Wizardling
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Wizardling » 08 Jun 2011 01:25

I've always kept media key control in VLC disabled (and I just double checked - that setting remains unchecked in VLC's prefs), as they would control iTunes in the background as well as VLC. Or at least they did last time I investigated the feature. As for haxies and themes - nope. Only kernel extensions running here were installed by VMware's Fusion.

P.S. Revisiting this forum resulted in a security certificate unable to be verified warning that I did not get earlier in the day. I had to add your certificate as an exception.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson)

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 08 Jun 2011 13:39

Thanks for your response. Regrettably, I was unable to reproduce your issue on the same software setup.

Please do the following: remove the folder called "org.videolan.vlc" from ~/Library/Preferences. This will reset VLC's configuration (to iron out potential bugs) and re-enable the media keys settings. This is fine, since the incompatibility with iTunes was fixed in VLC 1.1.10. VLC behaves exactly the way it should and shows the same behavior as Spotify, in case you know it.

@P.S. I'm noticing this from time to time as well. No idea what's causing it since I'm no VideoLAN server admin.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Wizardling
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Wizardling » 08 Jun 2011 19:40

G'day again.

I tried a fresh set of prefs - I still get "VLC[17407] Media key event tap was disabled by timeout" and the first mouseclick not recognised issue, with media key control on or off in the new VLC prefs.

In case it's any help here is my System Profile in both XML and RTF formats:
XML System Profile http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1442584/iMac.spx.zip
RTF System Profile http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1442584/iMac.rtf.zip

Also a copy of my current console log: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1442584/All%20Messages.log.zip

If I can can be of any more help just let me know :-) BTW - if I want to downgrade can you tell me where past versions are stored?

Cheers,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Wizardling
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Wizardling » 16 Jun 2011 16:47

G'day. Still happening and I wondered if someone could tell me where I can download the previous release which didn't produce this error?

TIA :-)

Wizardling
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Wizardling » 21 Jun 2011 04:09

*bump* Still happening, still would like the previous version of VLC please...

Gary King
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gary King » 21 Jun 2011 18:17

*bump* Still happening, still would like the previous version of VLC please...
Get 1.1.9. It is what I've got running and is less buggy. Get it here (if you're on Mac Intel 32-bit). The other copies are here.

tiliv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tiliv » 22 Jun 2011 02:32

I'm using 1.1.10.1 and I'm getting the same behavior on the latest OS X 10.7 Developer Preview 4. It is driving me absolutely insane while trying to do programming and happen to have VLC running or paused in the background.

Disabling the media hotkeys seems to fix the problem for me, but that's kind of a lame workaround that I hope isn't sufficient to mark this is a closed issue...

EDIT: Ack. Nevermind. Disabling the option for some reason made it go away briefly, but then it came back within minutes.

Wizardling
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Wizardling » 22 Jun 2011 04:33

Cheers Garry for the download links! tiliv - good to know it's not just my machine, nor OS. I wonder what the common element is.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 11 Jul 2011 16:10

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that this issue is resolved in VLC 1.1.11, which is scheduled for release tomorrow night.

Thanks for the reports!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

muesteff

Postby muesteff » 03 Oct 2011 14:09

I'm using VLC 1.1.11 on Mac OS 10.7.1 and still having the problem. I did a reinstall, but it didn't work. Any suggestions?

Wizardling
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Wizardling » 03 Oct 2011 23:46

Huh. Not happening here any more with media keys disabled in VLC Version 1.1.11 The Luggage (Intel 64bit) and OS X 10.6.8.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”