VLC won't play Region 4 DVD's ?

macOS specific usage questions
debdazz
New Cone
New Cone

VLC won't play Region 4 DVD's ?

Postby debdazz » 07 Apr 2011 07:07

I am hoping someone can help me please...
I downloaded VLC into our macbook so that we could watch different region dvds (Mac will lock the region after 5 changes, which I think is ridiculous but anyway...)
Everything I've read about VLC says that it will automatically play all regions...But I have tried SO many times and can only get VLC to play Region 1 dvd's.
It won't play Region 4 at all...

Could someone please explain to me in very simple terms how to get my VLC to play region 4 dvd's?
Thanks...

roger jonsson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC won't play Region 4 DVD's ?

Postby roger jonsson » 07 Apr 2011 09:22

VLC does try to play all regions, but doesn't manage that on dvd-drives since it is locked by the operating system or drive firmware. VLC did multiregion on my Mac mini until (about) OS X 10.5.6, the next upgrade broke it. Apple obviously originally missed stopping the drive used in this Macmini from the multiregion tricks VLC is doing and later "fixed" it. It seems that Apple is stopping this on all original mounted drives. Back in 10.4 VLC and multiregion worked on all my computers.
Some external drive works with multiregion and VLC, other doesn't. The ones that works are getting fewer and fewer.

debdazz
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC won't play Region 4 DVD's ?

Postby debdazz » 07 Apr 2011 09:53

Thanks Roger... so I can't play anything other than Region 1 which is what my macbook is set at the moment?
Oh I am so sad VLC couldn't help.

Actually we were pretty upset with apple when we discovered we could only change the regions five times. It's not locked yet, but we were hoping to just make VLC the default player and then it wouldn't be a problem at all.
I buy dvds from all over the world and have lots of different regions and we wanted to use the macbook to watch dvds while we are traveling.
So I suppose we'll have to drag out the horrible old dinosaur Vista Laptop which at least plays any region we want.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”