Can't change subtitle size anymore in 1.1.0

macOS specific usage questions
guitarjoa
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Mac OS

Can't change subtitle size anymore in 1.1.0

Postby guitarjoa » 19 Jul 2010 13:51

Well, I can change te settings but the subtitles stay the same size!
I always found this a very useful feature, but only since the last update nothing changes. I tried installing it again but the problem remains. Any help would be much appreciated.

SnidelyW
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Can't change subtitle size anymore in 1.1.0

Postby SnidelyW » 19 Jul 2010 17:30

I would like to confirm GuitarJoa's observation. I rarely watch videos with subtitles enabled unless the audio is really bad. However, a few days ago I did in fact enable subtitles on a particular video, and tried to change the font size in VLC's basic prefs. Similar to GuitarJoa, the font size change did NOT take effect. Currently, I am still using VLC 1.1.1, which I last compiled on my 27" iMac on July 7th. That's almost two weeks, so I guess I should update my source directory and do a new compile.

On the bright side, I also noticed a day or two ago that the equalizer settings -- particularly the "enable" box in the top left corner of the equalizer window -- is now remaining checked, even after shutting down and rebooting VLC.

So, there are some steps forward, and some steps backwards as well. ;)

On a side note,I am thinking of giving the 1.2 source another try. Up until now, it has failed to compile for me, but I have had absolutely no problem with the 1.1 source. It compiles in roughly 15-20 minutes on my iMac. Felix and/or Pierre, have either of you successfully compiled 1.2 yet? Just wondering.

Thanks!
SnidelyW

27" 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7 iMac with 8 GB of RAM and a 2 TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Zippin' along, baby, zippin' along! Catch us if you can! -- Dave Clark Five 1965

heffeque
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.2
Operating System: Win7-64

Postby heffeque » 23 Jul 2010 01:12

Same here. No subtitle size changes. I'll post a ticket.

Edit: No need for a new one, I see there's one there already: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/3864
(.-=Kiwi=-.)

SnidelyW
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SnidelyW » 23 Jul 2010 03:28

Hello Heffeque,

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to submit a ticket concerning this issue the other day when I posted my previous message, but was being a bit lazy at the time. I guess it's a good thing that I didn't submit one, since a ticket already exists. However, I just updated the ticket with my own comments, since I have different machine and version specs.
SnidelyW

Zippin' along, baby, zippin' along! Catch us if you can! -- Dave Clark Five 1965

pajarodelaluz
New Cone
New Cone

Why I cant to read subtitle?

Postby pajarodelaluz » 23 Jul 2010 20:13

I previous choosed the subtitle. I can see Pista 1, but alway show desactivated. I touch the item Pista 1, but dont change and stay desactivated.

guitarjoa
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby guitarjoa » 31 Jul 2010 13:05

Thanks for the help guys!
Unfortunately the problem still exists in 1.1.2. But I'll just wait for the developers to look at this. Thanks again!

SnidelyW
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SnidelyW » 31 Jul 2010 13:16

Actually, the problem continues to exist in 1.1.3 as well. :(
SnidelyW

klubn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby klubn » 06 Aug 2010 10:55

Not only does VLC not respect the font size settings, it can’t even properly render the text with the appropriate effects.

For example, in 1.0.6, I had the “outline” option enabled to enhance the text’s readability. Now, whichever setting I enable, it is not reflected.

So are we going to see a fix for this? Tempted to go back to 1.0.6, but I find this latest version resolves a few viewing issues I’ve had.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”