DTS audio, I just can hear a sharp noise sound, VLC issue?

macOS specific usage questions
epco71
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

DTS audio, I just can hear a sharp noise sound, VLC issue?

Postby epco71 » 04 Apr 2010 16:57

Hi, My name is Andrew, when i try to play some DTS files I just can heard a sharp noise sound. (it doesnt happens in all DTS files, just some files / dvds)
Can somebody help me to find out why VLC is not able to Play it or maybe it needs a decoder or something?
OS: Snow Leopard,running in macmini 2.0 Ghz and also tested on Imac 21,7" 64 Bits.

I have attached a short part of an audio file I edited to show you what i am tryong to play. Please download the file from https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9qcE2 ... MWRi&hl=es
Thanks!!
Andrew

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Re: DTS audio, I just can hear a sharp noise sound, VLC issu

Postby ajmas » 05 Apr 2010 16:11

Does the referenced file represent the file itself or what you are hearing? If it is the latter, have you tried playing back with Quicktime or some other application that supports the audio file? What file format is the file you are trying to play?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

epco71
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby epco71 » 05 Apr 2010 17:41

Does the referenced file represent the file itself or what you are hearing? If it is the latter, have you tried playing back with Quicktime or some other application that supports the audio file? What file format is the file you are trying to play?
Yes, this is the part edited - 20 seconds - of the file I am trying to play and I heard like sharp noise. I tried on Quicktime and others app but nothing, is the same, i am not able to listen the music, just ugly noise. The file is .AIFF, for other side this files are perfect if you listen into a PC :(

What should I do, is there any Codec I need? Can you hear it in your VLC??
Thanks!!
Andrew

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ajmas » 05 Apr 2010 18:38

I hear a hum at the beginning, followed by white noise (the sound you get when you see 'snow' on a TV). What was the original source and how was it converted?

Note VLC and Quicktime player provide the same result for me.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

epco71
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby epco71 » 05 Apr 2010 20:29

I hear a hum at the beginning, followed by white noise (the sound you get when you see 'snow' on a TV). What was the original source and how was it converted?

Note VLC and Quicktime player provide the same result for me.
It just dowloaded a complete track of a Classical Opera from DTS DVD Disc, then i cutted with streamclip because each track is 20Mb, i can upload the complete theme in some minutes if you like but you will hear the same sound (white noise) Now my question is why in a PC my ftaher in law is available to hear and not on mac, is a codec maybe?

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ajmas » 06 Apr 2010 04:11

if you use the sample on a PC, how is the format contents described? Looking at it with Quicktime, it is described as "Linear PCM, 16 bit big-endian signed integer, 2 channels, 44100 Hz"

epco71
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby epco71 » 06 Apr 2010 05:11

if you use the sample on a PC, how is the format contents described? Looking at it with Quicktime, it is described as "Linear PCM, 16 bit big-endian signed integer, 2 channels, 44100 Hz"

Yes the same in MPEG Streamclip (see below) but what does i t means? I mean, it is not possible to play this file track?
Time: 0:00:20
Size: 3.54 MB
Bit Rate: 1.45 Mbps

160 PCM stereo, 44.1 kHz, 1.41 Mbps

1 Pista de Audio-short.aiff (3.46 MB)

epco71
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby epco71 » 06 Apr 2010 18:48

Hello, on the other post (windows) there is a person trying to help me.
he said "j-b wrote:use --demux=dts in command line."

Is it possible to do that on mac? Can somebody help me?
Thanks!
Andrew

hankdysplasia
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby hankdysplasia » 14 Apr 2010 01:33

I think this is how you do it...
Open terminal.
Type /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC --demux=dts
Hit Return.

It should open VLC.

I don't actually know where this command is, or if it's permanently chosen now. Can anyone help with that?

epco71
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby epco71 » 14 Apr 2010 03:05

I think this is how you do it...
Open terminal.
Type /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC --demux=dts
Hit Return.

It should open VLC.

I don't actually know where this command is, or if it's permanently chosen now. Can anyone help with that?
Hi! Thank you very much for you help,
unfurtunatelly it didnt work :( and i think it is related with channels into mac osx setup. I found a tutorial from this guy opening DTS on Quicktime, i guess should be the same for DTS AIFF , maybe you can look at this and help to understand a little more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2er6kbzPuk

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”