macOS specific usage questions
pujansrt
New Cone
New Cone

Transmit from External Camera(DV) Mac OSX

Postby pujansrt » 04 Feb 2010 04:22

Dear All,

We can transmit iSight camera using following command-

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC qtcapture:// –sout=”......
It works great.

BUT how to capture from external camera for instance "DV Camera" and transmit.

Thank you .

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Re: Transmit from External Camera(DV) Mac OSX

Postby ajmas » 11 Feb 2010 23:23

I am not sure, but if you can find a program that will allow you to stream DV video, then you could probably use VLC as a client to view that stream.

This video may be of help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKacgqxqH-Q - Note I have never tried it myself. I looked into using the Quicktime Broadcaster, but I didn't have any luck with that on MacOS X 10.6. Beyond that I am not sure what other software could be of help.

Edit: Having just borrowed a friend's camcoder, I was able to try a few things out.
- With the explanation from the video, using AVCBrowser.
- Quicktime broadcaster works to a certain extent.

I was able to save the stream. There appears to be a bug in the UI, since if you paste in a URL of the form udp://@:1234 it insists on appending http:// to the front. Clicking on the UDP/RTP button and then specifying the port works (opened ticket: 3294).

If you can get your video source to work with Quicktime Broadcaster, then it allows you to save at the same time as streaming. Note: if you have an HDV video camera make sure the output is set to DV, otherwise Quicktime Broadcaster won't list it.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”