macOS specific usage questions
le_sacre
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.1.2
Operating System: OS X 10.6.8

subtitles that work in quicktime but not vlc

Postby le_sacre » 23 Oct 2009 20:47

I found similar topics in the forums but not quite the same... Hope somebody can point me in the right direction.

I have several videos with separate .srt subtitle tracks, which work fine in VLC, but I would prefer to have the subtitles and the video contained within the same file. Quicktime can accomplish this (open the video file in Quicktime Player 7, it auto-recognizes and displays the subtitles, Save As a self-contained .mov file, and the resulting single file has an added track containing the subtitle data). This file plays fine in Quicktime with the subtitles, but when I open it in VLC, I get the following error:

No suitable decoder module
VLC does not support the audio or video format "SRT". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

The video track plays but the subtitles do not. Three subtitle tracks show up in the subtitle submenu of the Video menu (despite Quicktime only showing one such track), with the first one selected by default (though it does not actually display any subtitles). Trying to select either of the other tracks listed in the subtitle submenu does not work. I guess somehow Quicktime is converting the subtitle format from srt to something else? I know VLC can read the original separate .srt file--it's just the merged Quicktime version that it balks at.

I'm using VLC 1.0.2 (also tried on 1.0.1, same result), OS X 10.6.1, '07 Intel Macbook Pro.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”