.mkv File Problem, Can't FF or Jump to

macOS specific usage questions
cyoungdale3
New Cone
New Cone

.mkv File Problem, Can't FF or Jump to

Postby cyoungdale3 » 17 Sep 2008 18:35

So I ripped the Bourne Ultimatum using ridiculously good quality settings in the latest version of HandBrake for Mac. The video looks amazing and it's only a 1.29 GB .mkv file. However, when I open it up in VLC 0.9.2 it won't let me jump to any point in the movie by moving the progress point (whatever you call it). Also the fast-forward and rewind features don't really work, it's really jumpy and sometimes jumps back to where I pressed FF or RW.

I don't mind sitting through the whole movie, but if I want to go back and watch something again, I can't.

Is it a VLC problem or a HandBrake prolbem?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: .mkv File Problem, Can't FF or Jump to

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Sep 2008 21:29

Probably libebml used by vlc.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

brechtsky
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brechtsky » 20 Sep 2008 21:48

Yeah!! This is a BIG problem for me with the new vlc

Afer locking up for a minute, the image flashes black and the file crashes, that or it junmps back to the beginning or a point really early in the file, or it will just plain freeze and I have to force quit... and this is happening on literally EVERY 720p or 1080p mkv I have (which totals at about 30), whenever I try to jump or skip more than a couple minutes.

I can get the jump (command j) to work once, maybe, then it starts acting weird and does the same quit/freeze thing if I try it more than once.

And also when I use the shift-command-right arrow to jump a minute at a time, it works once or twice, then quits or freezes like every other attempt.

Ive tried adjusting the matroska settings, every one of them, including jump by percentage, and nothing has worked.

Another thing I dont like is that I used to have the ability to manually jump past errors in the stream/timecode or whatever, but now I cant, and this has rendered those files unwatchable, as they have no endings!

Please fix these problems, as I love the new vlc's better, smoothed out support for vc1 and m2ts files....

donchri
New Cone
New Cone

Postby donchri » 20 Sep 2008 22:48

yes i have the same problem all my some 720p and ALL of 1080p puts in pause 1 second and is imposible to view. the 0.86i is possible if i put in prefrences /codecs /ffmpeg /decodification H.264 in ALL mode, i have a macbookpro 2.16 core2duo and think if the new version realy works with the 2 c0res or one only same as 0.86 ,(sorry for my english im from spain) and please fix this i love VLC ¡¡¡¡ THANKS

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 21 Sep 2008 15:01

Yeah!! This is a BIG problem for me with the new vlc

Afer locking up for a minute, the image flashes black and the file crashes, that or it junmps back to the beginning or a point really early in the file, or it will just plain freeze and I have to force quit... and this is happening on literally EVERY 720p or 1080p mkv I have (which totals at about 30), whenever I try to jump or skip more than a couple minutes.

I can get the jump (command j) to work once, maybe, then it starts acting weird and does the same quit/freeze thing if I try it more than once.

And also when I use the shift-command-right arrow to jump a minute at a time, it works once or twice, then quits or freezes like every other attempt.

Ive tried adjusting the matroska settings, every one of them, including jump by percentage, and nothing has worked.

Another thing I dont like is that I used to have the ability to manually jump past errors in the stream/timecode or whatever, but now I cant, and this has rendered those files unwatchable, as they have no endings!

Please fix these problems, as I love the new vlc's better, smoothed out support for vc1 and m2ts files....
We currently have no idea how to fix this problem, and libmatroska/libebml seems to be a dead project. I guess our early matroska support has become a problem, and it will be a while before we can support any of the other matroska libraries. I'm working on getting mkv support trough avformat, but it's not so simple (attachments, chapters and some other things need to be supported first)
Don't use PMs for support questions.

cyoungdale3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cyoungdale3 » 22 Sep 2008 06:23

Ok, thanks for the replies. I just won't rip to .mkv anymore. I'll use .avi, which is what my Planet Earth files are and they're working great.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 22 Sep 2008 13:17

Ok, thanks for the replies. I just won't rip to .mkv anymore. I'll use .avi, which is what my Planet Earth files are and they're working great.
Note that there are only issues with OLDER mkv files. The mkv files which have been muxed with an outdated version of mkvmerge basically. So you might be able to upgrade your conversion tool and have perfectly working mkv files perhaps.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

cyoungdale3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cyoungdale3 » 02 Oct 2008 16:59

Ok, so I tried playing the .mkv files with MPlayer and I have the same errors. Does this mean my .mkv files are corrupted? (Some of them are downloads).

Also, I have no luck using VLC to transcode .mkv to other files. If I only change the container format, then I get no sound. If I try to change it to h.264 and .mp4, I get an .mp4 file that seems to make my computer slow to a halt, finally open in VLC, only to freeze the program.

Are the .mkv problems or errors transcoding with the video as well?

Also I am currently waiting on forum answers over at the Visual Hub forums (the program I am trying to use to convert away from .mkv). For some reason that program only converts the first 9 minutes of video and stops (says the conversion is complete though).

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”