Controls GUI Missing on 0.9.0 build of VLC

macOS specific usage questions
carath63
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Controls GUI Missing on 0.9.0 build of VLC

Postby carath63 » 09 May 2008 15:40

I recently built VLC from the git source code on an Intel Macbook running MacOSX 10.5.2. When I start it up I get the main menu bar and a bodyless main window, (it just contains the close/min/max buttons and the title). From the main menu I can bring up all of the other windows, such as messages, the open dialogs, the about dialog, etc. I can even get the playlist window to show up inside the main window, but the controls are all missing.

I realize this is probably some configuration problem in my development environment, but I'm fairly new to Mac development and don't know where to start looking. The message logs don't show any errors when instantiating the "macosx" interface for the player. I checked out the nib files and they appear to have the controls in place.

If it helps, I updated my source code from git on Thursday May 8, 2008.
Christopher A. Rath

gbenrus25
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Controls GUI Missing on 0.9.0 build of VLC

Postby gbenrus25 » 09 May 2008 23:09

yep, I think the problem is from the new option "Add Controls to the video window" under the "Interface" tab of "Simple Preferences". That option is new and if deselected, the new controls window shows with the playlist stuff.

It now works for me though. What i did was first deslect the Add Controls option and try to open a movie. After it crashed, I re-opened VLC and selected the "Add Controls ..." option and now, it always works. Maybe you can also try that. Have fun.

aceghost
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aceghost » 09 May 2008 23:21

Easy fix...

go to window in menu you will see playlist click that it will make vlc show playlist.

If you close and open it will show you the play and all other buttons after that.

Other way described never work for me but this one i used work well.

gbenrus25
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gbenrus25 » 10 May 2008 01:06

actually, that's probably what I did. Have you also noticed that on the latest build, the audio doesn't work

carath63
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby carath63 » 12 May 2008 18:35

Thanks for the replies. I'll try out the various suggestions and see if the controls show up.

As for the audio, when I build VLC with a completely default configure step, I don't get the ffmpeg video codecs or the a52 audio codecs. Any video I tried to play would come up with a warning that VLC was unable to play that format. It turns out with no options, it was builgin the ffmpeg and the a52 audio codec as builtins instead of plugins. But for some reason, they were never actually built into the player. After mucking around with various configure options I was able to get both of them built as plugins instead of builtins and now I get video and audio.
Christopher A. Rath

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”