Default Video Device is not Default

macOS specific usage questions
reconmario
New Cone
New Cone

Default Video Device is not Default

Postby reconmario » 13 Apr 2008 04:26

I have a rather interesting problem to solve. I am running OS X 10.5.2 on a 2GHz MacBook with a second monitor of an lcd television connected via hdmi. I have just recently upgraded from Tiger and while most things are working well, I'm having some problems with VLC fullscreen. I sometimes watch videos on just my laptop's screen and sometimes on my television but I always have my television plugged in as a secondary monitor. Now, on Tiger, I just had to double click my VLC player and it would maximise to fullscreen on whatever monitor it was on. In other words, if the video was currently on my laptop's screen, it would maximise there and if it was on my lcd when I double clicked it, it would be fullscreen there. That was great.

Now, however, I have to change my default video device every time I open VLC. VLC, upon being opened, is always defaulting to screen 1. In order for it to do what I want, I have to change it to screen 0 (default). It then opens in fullscreen on the monitor is it currently on, exactly as I want it to. What I'm hoping for is some simple fix to cause VLC, upon opening, to be playing on the default monitor. In other words, as strange as it sounds, I want VLC to default to the default option.

Thanks.

bozo_z_clown
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Default Video Device is not Default

Postby bozo_z_clown » 13 Apr 2008 05:18

The issue is that the preference for the default "video device" doesn't get remembered correctly.

The simplest fix is probably to revert to 0.8.6c as that's the last release in which this seems to have worked correctly (I've tried each of the subsequent releases wih no joy). Of course, the Apple remote doesn't work in that release which is somewhat annoying but whatcha goin' to do? Ask for your money back? :)

BZC

reconmario
New Cone
New Cone

Postby reconmario » 13 Apr 2008 20:09

Ha, I guess I'll just hold out for the new version.

gbenrus25
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gbenrus25 » 19 Apr 2008 15:32

finally, it's been fixed!!! yay... check out the new nightly build: http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/mac ... l/?C=M;O=D. Although it's a bit unstable and some options have not been added

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”