System crash when entering fullscreen

macOS specific usage questions
Sjoekie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

System crash when entering fullscreen

Postby Sjoekie » 06 Jun 2007 16:30

Hello,

I'm running vlc 0.8.6b on an intel mac (black macbook with 2.0GHz cpu, os x 10.4.9). Sometimes when I enter fullscreen (so when I doubleclick) something weird happens: The video window disappears but the audio continues (so I don't see the video anymore). Once this has happened, I cannot do a single thing anymore, even pressing command+alt+esc doesn't work (this should "force stop"). The only solution is to reboot my mac (by pressing the power-button). This has happend 3 times so far (in one week).

I've checked my vlc-log (library/logs/crashreporter/vlc.crash.log) but there are no entries there. I've had this crash on 3 different files (one is XViD, the others are XViD or DiVX I'm not sure). The next time I tried to open these files it worked, so the files are not corrupted.

I am not running any special software at the times of the crashes (I think only firefox, itunes and overflow).

I know I'm not offering you much to work with but it's all I know.

Thanks for your time,

Sjoekie

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Jun 2007 16:52

Did you reset preferences and Cache ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Sjoekie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Sjoekie » 06 Jun 2007 17:41

Did you reset preferences and Cache ?
preferences: yes
cache: just now

So I'll continue to use this for a while and I'll post if it crashes again.

Thanks for the reply!

Sjoekie

Somebee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Somebee » 15 Jun 2007 07:33

This crash has happened to me many times to, infact so many that I switched to Mplayer. I really want to go back to VLC, since mplayer is buggy and unstable. I just searched for the bug on google now (haven't found anything about it earlier) and it led me to this thread.

I get the _exact_ same problem as Sjoekie, at worst I had to restart my mac 3-4 times in a single day (switched alot in and out of fullscreen). I'm not sure, but it seems to happen most if i just moved the window / fiddled with the controls or something _right_ before I doubleclick for fullscreen.

I have an Intel Macbook 1.83 Core 2 Duo, 2Gb mem. I'm installing VLC again now, but I won't ever enter fullscreen again until I'm sure this bug is fixed...

Sjoekie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Sjoekie » 15 Jun 2007 09:44

This crash has happened to me many times to, infact so many that I switched to Mplayer. I really want to go back to VLC, since mplayer is buggy and unstable. I just searched for the bug on google now (haven't found anything about it earlier) and it led me to this thread.

I get the _exact_ same problem as Sjoekie, at worst I had to restart my mac 3-4 times in a single day (switched alot in and out of fullscreen). I'm not sure, but it seems to happen most if i just moved the window / fiddled with the controls or something _right_ before I doubleclick for fullscreen.

I have an Intel Macbook 1.83 Core 2 Duo, 2Gb mem. I'm installing VLC again now, but I won't ever enter fullscreen again until I'm sure this bug is fixed...
You might trying to clear your cache by using "sudo rm -rf ~/.vlc" on the terminal (you can find the terminal in "/Applications/utilities"). (It will prompt for your pasword and you have to be an administrator).

I think it worked for me (I haven't had the crash again since I did this, but I also didn't need vlc so much in this time so I'm not 100% sure).

I hope this helps because I know how much it s**** when you have to reboot...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Jun 2007 10:35

@Somebee: the crash may be fixed in a very soon released version. Wait a few days.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

freedumb2000
New Cone
New Cone

Re: System crash when entering fullscreen

Postby freedumb2000 » 28 Jun 2007 14:16

I am having this problem for many past revisions of VLC and unfortunatly no new version has improved the situation. I am running VLC on a freshly installed and updated Tiger OS X. This happens on any type of video file and so often that it has become really annoying although I am still using VLC because it is still the best Player on OS X by far! In my case the system does not lock up completely fortunatly, VLC will crash quit on its own after a few seconds playing back just audio and it will slow down the system considerably during that time. I have posted crash log before but have gotten no response. I can post another crash log or any other type of info that may be useful to fix this. I am using a first gen. MBP.
Thanks

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”