Howto stream from soundcard

macOS specific usage questions
peter_baum
New Cone
New Cone

Howto stream from soundcard

Postby peter_baum » 03 Mar 2007 01:06

Hi!

I would like to stream everything from the soundcard of my Mac to my local network.

In more details, I would like to use any music jukebox software I want on my Mac, and have the sounds played on my stereo via something like the Roku Soundbridge. The Roku Soundbridge is a small device that can play music streams from a (wireless) network and connects to a HiFi system.

I don't know how this can be done. Can it be done with VLC at all?

Thanks a lot for your help!

PS: I found a solution in the forum that might work for Windows: Create a virtual sound input and output with "Virtual Cable". Virtual cable forwards every sound output from programs to the virtual sound input. VLC can then take the sound from the virtual sound input using dshow and stream it to the network. I think a Mac equivalent to Virtual Cable would be Soundflower, but there is no dshow on a Mac.

peace4theapes
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Howto stream from soundcard

Postby peace4theapes » 30 Aug 2008 03:35

Hi Peter,

Did you happen to find a solution for the VLC streaming to Soundbridge on a Mac? I have been looking for a solution for quite a while. There is a solution for windows in the Roku forums, but not for a Mac. If you could provide a few leads, it would be greatly appreciated.

-P

peter_baum
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Howto stream from soundcard

Postby peter_baum » 30 Aug 2008 09:08

yes i think it worked with audacity and shoutcast. audacity spools from the soundcard or virtual soundcard to shoutcast, and shoutcast could spool to the soundbridge. But there are delays of about a second, so it will not work for watching movies, and therefore I just dropped the whole thing. good luck!

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”