Fullscreen device selection broken on 0.8.5+

macOS specific usage questions
ximenes

Fullscreen device selection broken on 0.8.5+

Postby ximenes » 24 Jul 2006 07:12

Selecting device 2 at "Video -> output modules -> macosx -> video device" in the preferences doesn't seem to work in VLC 0.8.5 or the latest nightly build. When playing a video, the device menu shows that device two is selected, but then entering fullscreen mode displays on device one.

Using the menu manually does work. Using --macosx-vdev on the command line also does not work.

VLC 0.8.4a does work as intended with all three methods.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 29 Jul 2006 00:07

Which versions of OSX and QuickTime are you using? Is it on an Intel Mac?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Hubie

Postby Hubie » 29 Jul 2006 09:47

I am having this issue as well. When entering fullscreen, the video defaults to screen 1 [built in screen] even though screen 2 [external monitor] is checked for playback.

I work around it by clicking [the already checked] 'Video -> Video Device -> Screen 2', before entering fullscreen.

I cannot remember what release the issue started in, however, it has been a while since it worked properly.

QuickTime 7.1.2
Al Powerbook G4

sarc

Postby sarc » 02 Aug 2006 20:06

I have a somewhat similar problem
My "Video Device" menu is greyed out. Although quicktime, DVDPlayer and Mac OS X itself recognize the TV with no trouble at all.

snix

Postby snix » 13 Aug 2006 06:54

0.8.5 does not remember the default full screen video device (e.g. Screen 2) set in the Preferences.

This feature works fine in 0.8.4.

I'm on a PPC 1Ghz, OS 10.4.7.

gusax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gusax » 03 Sep 2006 23:48

I'm having the same problems with 0.8.5.

VLC always defaults to fullscreen playback on the primary screen, even if another screen is selected in the preferences.
If any filter (I use crop+deinterlace) is preset in the preferences, the Video Device menu is greyed out.

But if no filter is preset in the preferences, the Video Device menu shows up and screen 2 can be selected manually. After clicking screen 2, I can also activate deinterlacing and then enter fullscreen (using apple-F) on my second screen.
However if I manually activate deinterlacing before selecting the Video Device, I can still click screen two under the Video Device menu but it does nothing. Fullscreen stays on screen one, despite having selected screen two.

VLC 0.8.5 PowerPC, G5, 10.4.7

losof
New Cone
New Cone

clarification

Postby losof » 02 Oct 2006 04:35

vlc does not forget this setting, however, it ignores it.

reproduction:
- set default video output to monitor 2, save config, exit
- open vlc, enter full screen: video is displayed full screen on monitor 1.
- exit full screen mode, look into the menu: it looks like monitor 2 is selected.

workaround:
- (in the menu) temporary select monitor 1, then monitor 2 again (just re-selecting monitor 2 without the intermediate step didn't cut it for me)
- enter full screen: voilà, video is full screen on monitor 2.

os x 10.4.7, ppc, vlc 0.8.5

sd
New Cone
New Cone

same for me

Postby sd » 20 Oct 2006 23:38

I have a somewhat similar problem
My "Video Device" menu is greyed out. Although quicktime, DVDPlayer and Mac OS X itself recognize the TV with no trouble at all.
It is the same for me.
I have a Mac Pro (so Intel proc) with ATI X1900XT video card. To DVI port 1, an Apple video adapter pluged to a TV. To DVI port 2, plugged to DVI monitor.

Everything is OK wih all apps: my monitor is main screen, and TV second screen. It works well with Quicktime and DVD player.
BUT VLC sees only my DVI monitor : "video device" is greyed out.
The only way to display VLC to TV, is to drag the VLC window to the TV with mouse, and then select Fullscreen.

sd
New Cone
New Cone

Re: same for me

Postby sd » 21 Oct 2006 00:05

I have tried with the 2 latest nightly builds (0.8.6-test1 and 0.9.0-svn), and I am sorry to tell it is the same...
"Video device" menu is greyed :cry:

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 25 Oct 2006 20:57

It's funny to see how I have two multimonitor setups, and i don't experience this issue, yet you all seem to have it....
Don't use PMs for support questions.

sd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sd » 26 Oct 2006 23:53

It's funny to see how I have two multimonitor setups, and i don't experience this issue, yet you all seem to have it....
maybe you could give us a way to track this: a verbose mode, or a special version that would log the tests about video devices...

gusax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gusax » 27 Oct 2006 18:04

I have tried with the 2 latest nightly builds (0.8.6-test1 and 0.9.0-svn), and I am sorry to tell it is the same...
"Video device" menu is greyed :cry:
Have you tried removing the video filters you might have set in you preferences?

When I have a video filter preselected the video device is greyed out. If I don't have any filters preselected the video device menu is selectable.

You have to select a video device (= your second screen) from that menu first, then you can enable the filters. You can't do it the other way around. If you do, the video device is still visible but it has no effect.
And you can't save it in the preferences.

DJ, please instruct us how we can help you track these two issues down (video device greyed out, fullscreen always on screen 1 despite screen 2 saved in preferences) because it still isn't working in the nightlies.

sd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sd » 27 Oct 2006 21:45

Have you tried removing the video filters you might have set in you preferences?
When I have a video filter preselected the video device is greyed out. If I don't have any filters preselected the video device menu is selectable.
YES! You are right: if no video filter is enabled, the video device menu is selectable again. :)
fullscreen always on screen 1 despite screen 2 saved in preferences

Now I have the menu, I have found a way way to make it work...
- open the video
- select screen 1 instead of screen 2 in the video device menu
- select back screen 2
- go "fullscreen". Voilà!

gusax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gusax » 29 Oct 2006 14:49

Acctually you can save yourself a couple of clicks if you tell vlc to use screen 1 in the preferences.

That way you "only" have to:
1 open the video
2 select screen 2
3 go fullscreen

(The gui acctually respect your preferences, that's why screen 2 is pre-selected for you.)

And if you want your filters back:
1 open the video
2 select screen 2 from video device (you must select screen 2 before enabling filters and not the other way around or else the video will default to screen 1 regardless of which screen you select)
3 select filters from their respective menus
4 go fullscreen

gusax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gusax » 30 Oct 2006 18:32

I just found a work-around!

Move the VLC controller window (the small one without any video in it) to the second screen. Press apple-F and fullscreen will be on the second screen too.

The controller position is saved when you quit vlc so if you had it on screen 2 the last time, it will stay there until you either move it to screen 1 or disconnect your second screen.

And, it works with filters saved in the preferences too, so go ahead and put those back so you don't have to enable them manually all the time.

So I guess the real bug is that VLC forces fullscreen to the screen that the controller window is on and not the screen that the user has specified in the preferences.

SuiGeneris
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SuiGeneris » 30 Oct 2006 20:00

I don't quite.

I have an extended desktop and for convenience I have VLC there. The first time I drag and drop to it it pops up a window on the main screen which once dragged and dropped to the second screen continues to play there without incident. If I then D&D another to the VLC app it opens on the second screen without issue.

sd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sd » 30 Oct 2006 21:55

I just found a work-around!
Move the VLC controller window (the small one without any video in it) to the second screen. Press apple-F and fullscreen will be on the second screen too.
It is not acceptable for me. I do want the controller on my main screen, so that I can easily control by mouse (I can not see the TV while sitted on my desk, where there are keyboard, mouse and monitor)

Ayla
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ayla » 03 Nov 2006 23:24

I have the same problem.

Monitor 2 is selected but you still have to click it everytime VLC starts.

This is really a big problem when trying to run a remote controlled media center on your TV.

Could this be fixed in 0.8.6 instead of 0.9.0? - Please :wink:
/Martin

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 07 Nov 2006 23:50

It already is. The DJ fixed it the day before yesterday, so the next beta version 0.8.6-test2 will support this again.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Ayla
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ayla » 08 Nov 2006 12:41

It already is. The DJ fixed it the day before yesterday, so the next beta version 0.8.6-test2 will support this again.
That sounds great :)

But, where do I get the Beta version?

Is it the same as the nightly builds?

If yes, is it fixed in the 0.8.6 nightly only or also in the latest 0.9.0 nightly?

Thanks
/Martin
/Martin

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 08 Nov 2006 13:06

It is surely fixed in the 0.8.6 nightly builds. I can't find a commit for 0.9.0 trunk right now, but it is probably fixed there as well (regrettably, I can't test this here, since I only got one screen).

The 0.8.6-test2 beta isn't finished yet, so you can't find it anywhere. Be assured, that we will announce it on the forum within the next couple of days.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

gusax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gusax » 08 Nov 2006 13:32

It is surely fixed in the 0.8.6 nightly builds. I can't find a commit for 0.9.0 trunk right now, but it is probably fixed there as well (regrettably, I can't test this here, since I only got one screen).
I tested it and it's half-fixed.
Using the latest nighty build (2006-11-06 intel) I was able to save screen 2 in the preferences and it was correctly marked in the menus. However fullscreen still plays back on the monitor that has the controller window on it.
What's changed is that we now don't have to
- click screen 1
- click screen 2
in order to get fullscreen on screen 2 if it's selected in the preferences.
We only have to click screen 2.

So we saved a couple of clicks, but the core of the problem is still there - that video is played in fullscreen on the screen that currently has the controller window on it, regardless of what's saved in the preferences :-(

Ayla
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ayla » 08 Nov 2006 13:43

I tested it and it's half-fixed.
Using the latest nighty build (2006-11-06 intel) I was able to save screen 2 in the preferences and it was correctly marked in the menus. However fullscreen still plays back on the monitor that has the controller window on it.
What's changed is that we now don't have to
- click screen 1
- click screen 2
in order to get fullscreen on screen 2 if it's selected in the preferences.
We only have to click screen 2.

So we saved a couple of clicks, but the core of the problem is still there - that video is played in fullscreen on the screen that currently has the controller window on it, regardless of what's saved in the preferences :-(
This isn't something new, it has worked like that for me in a long time with the nightly builds.

So seems like nothing is fixed? :(
/Martin

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 08 Nov 2006 13:56

Hmmm, I really thought that this would be working again. I'll forward your feedback to the respective developer. Please stay tuned for 0.8.6.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 08 Nov 2006 15:04

Mmm, it still doesn't seem to work once you have set this in the preferences.... If you reset your preferences you will see it work. I'll try to investigate further.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”