.avi file errors

macOS specific usage questions
kinetic

.avi file errors

Postby kinetic » 28 Feb 2006 05:57

ok so the audio is fine, but the video doesnt play, is there a codec i am missing?

here is the error i get...

main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `SEDG'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 28 Feb 2006 14:10

The codec identifier is SEDG, and this identifier is unknown by VLC. apparently it's Samsung MPEG-4. If you use a tool to change the FOURCC, to mp4v it will probably work with VLC.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 28 Feb 2006 14:30

Couldn't we also add the SEDG fourcc to VLC ? (a sample on ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming would be nice)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

arthur1286

avi problems

Postby arthur1286 » 04 Mar 2006 05:04

Im having a similar problem, sound but no video. I too am using a .avi file, but my error message reads, main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

this is a .avi, not a wmv. whats the deal?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 04 Mar 2006 16:01

AVIs are just containers which can contain stuff encoded with all kinds of codecs, even WMV1/2/3. This doesn't change the fact though, that the WMV3-codec is currently unsupported by VLC, so regrettably there is no way to play this file.
QuickTime with the Flip4Mac-plugin might be able to play it :wink:
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

anechoic
New Cone
New Cone

Archos 402 avi

Postby anechoic » 05 Mar 2006 21:21

recently purchased an Archos 402 pocket DV camcorder for location recording and lo-fi filmmaking...the file format that the 402 stores the files in are MPEG-4 SP with B-Frames, stereo sound. While the container says .avi VLC can play back the video portion of the file but not the audio...is there a setting in the prefs I need to set?
any help is appreciated!
Kim Cascone

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 05 Mar 2006 22:14

There aren't any setting you could set for this, but you can post the exact error message here, so we might solve it by editing VLC's sources.
Especially the name of the codec used for the audio is important of course ;)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

anechoic
New Cone
New Cone

Archos 402 avi

Postby anechoic » 06 Mar 2006 01:37

what's odd is that I'm not getting an error message for not playing back the audio but I do get an message saying: 'late picture skipped' because I'm playing it on a OS X 10.4.5 900MHz G3 iBook...

where would I find the codec being used to play back an .avi file?

also, the Archos 402 file is listed as a DivX in Quicktime so I'm assuming that a MPEG-4 SP with B-Frames in an avi container is a DivX format file? confusing...
KIM

Postby Guest » 06 Mar 2006 13:24

When you say " WMV3-codec is currently unsupported by VLC", does that mean that it WILL be suppported in the future?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 08 Mar 2006 22:09

@anechoic: Since VLC complains about late pictures being skipped, chances are high that your Mac is way to slow to play your file. That's why the audio might not work as well. Anyway, could you upload a sample somewhere, so I can have a look at it on a quite fast Mac? Perhaps the audio works here or at least can probably give you a hint what's wrong or might be able to solve it.

@Guest: yes. But I neither can nor will say when. Really basic work is already done by the ffmpeg-team, but is far from being useable. There isn't even enough done to demo anything, so it will really take quite some time from now. Regardless of a true open-source decoder, we might be able to use the Flip4Mac-plugin through the QuickTime-framework, but I don't know whether this is actually going to happen.
To sum up, yes we will support it, but I can't say whether it is going to happen in a few months or in a few years...
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Phallcon

Error Message

Postby Phallcon » 14 Mar 2006 01:23

When I try to open my file, a message comes up that says "access_file: seeking too far." Any ideas how to address this?

hanaya

More .avi problems

Postby hanaya » 14 Mar 2006 01:36

Unlike everyone else so far, I'm not getting an error message. It will play the first few seconds of the video (no audio). However if I adjust the volume during those few seconds the audio will turn on. Then vlc will just shut down. "unexpectedly shut down" by the message I get. So I lied, there is an error message, but it's just not a very informative one.

Also, the files that I tried to play that this happened with went from being type AVI Movie to AVI Container after this error occured. And I did try using .avi files that have worked with vlc in the past. So it isn't necessarily the file. However the first file that it happened with, it was the first time I tried to run it with vlc. Now it's doing it to every file I try to use in it.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”