Chromecast has suddenly stopped working. [Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82); 3.0.18 Vetinari]

macOS specific usage questions
guava88
New Cone
New Cone

Chromecast has suddenly stopped working. [Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82); 3.0.18 Vetinari]

Postby guava88 » 21 Sep 2023 16:02

Hi community, I need your help~ :wink: & thank you in advance!

VLC player was working hinky but giving me Chromecast playback on most file types. Sometimes I couldn't get the renderer to catch on Chromecast unless I was actively playing something (ie. youtube video on TV) then interrupting it with the VLC player to override Chromecast video source. Still, this worked. <<I went on 2 week trip, came back and now playback doesn't happen>>

Notable points:
* All file types play normally in VLC application on macOS/Macbook Air M2, 2022.
* Chromecast renderer is detected in VLC
* They are on the same wifi network
* I did a hard reset on Chromecast dongle
* Uninstalled & reinstalled VLC today; same results/symptoms
* Hard & soft restarts on Macbook Air
* Tried on/off "Hardware decoding" (settings> input/codex> )
** Running: macOS Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82) & VLC 3.0.18 Vetinari

Scenario:
Regardless of whether "chromecast" renderer is selected before/during playback, TV clearly detects VLC connection (flashes file name, starts to load). Before any audio/video can get through VLC application glitches and gives-up playing the file and proceeds down the list; trying to play each subsequent file. It gets stuck in a loop-action of trying to play then giving-up playback, when it reaches the bottom of the list it sometimes just locks there or goes back up to the top of the file list and keeps doing the same thing. Meanwhile, the TV shows the blue Chromecast input logo on black screen (no signs of active feed/input). All playback-control buttons in VLC player are normal EXCEPT for the 'stop/square' button which is grayed out/non-responsive. (I didn't use the Macbook Air with any other devices while traveling.)

Can anyone suggest any fixes? Would love to have my VLC behaving w/Chromecast again, so I can get my work zone back :)

PS pls let me know if you need any other info from my end <3

Sames
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Chromecast has suddenly stopped working. [Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82); 3.0.18 Vetinari]

Postby Sames » 04 Oct 2023 06:26

This happened a few months ago to me. I think maybe after I did a Ventura security update, but not entirely sure of that.
I am having the same issue with VLC not rendering to my Chromecast, but ONLY with my 4K Chromecast. Works just fine with the other 3 regular Chromecasts that I have in the house. Everything else is fine with the 4K Chromecast. I can cast to it from my phone (android) and with normal Chromecasting. I tried all the troubleshooting that guava88 did and tried changing a million settings and nothing worked. Curious if guava88 has a 4K Chromecast.....

alucard84
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Chromecast has suddenly stopped working. [Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82); 3.0.18 Vetinari]

Postby alucard84 » 06 Oct 2023 21:36

I got the same problem on my Mac. Try to reset the chromecast and VLC, install new mac os Sonoma, try to install older VLC. None of them work.

guava88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby guava88 » 06 Oct 2023 22:51

I am having the same issue with VLC not rendering to my Chromecast, but ONLY with my 4K Chromecast. Works just fine with the other 3 regular Chromecasts that I have in the house. Everything else is fine with the 4K Chromecast. I can cast to it from my phone (android) and with normal Chromecasting. I tried all the troubleshooting that guava88 did and tried changing a million settings and nothing worked. Curious if guava88 has a 4K Chromecast.....
@Sames Very envious you have other dongles that still work with VLC/Chromecast rendering. Thanks for sharing, good to know I'm not the only one facing this issue!
---------

Yes, confirmed I have the 4K Chromecast (specs https://www.androidtv-guide.com/streami ... hromecast/ ). I'm hoping a brilliant tech brain can help us fix this issue <3

Midwest Deb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Midwest Deb » 29 Oct 2023 00:36

Using version 3.0.19 Vetinari

I do NOT have a 4k Chromecast - I have an older 1080P version of the hardware.

It isn't that it won't render, when I go to Playback/Renderer from the VLC menu I do not see either Chromecast. The only option available is "Local"

ePirat
Developer
Developer
Operating System: macOS

Postby ePirat » 16 Nov 2023 16:12

For those of you who see the Chromecast in the renderer menu, please open the Messages window (CMD + Shift + M), select the Chromecast renderer and try to play something on it. After it failed, save the log and post it here please.

guava88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby guava88 » 27 Nov 2023 13:39

@ePirat Thank you for your expertise and help :)

Pastebin filter won't let me save my log as unlisted, only private. wompwomp. Will PM it to you.
At a glance, mine looks very similar to the log from suseuser https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 29#p539892

MystiqueWanderer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MystiqueWanderer » 02 Dec 2023 18:35

Since this issue occurred after your trip, it might be related to a recent update or change in settings. Consider reporting this issue to VLC's support or forums for more specific advice.
Also, you can consider testing Chromecast with another device to rule out an issue specific to your MacBook Air.

guava88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby guava88 » 04 Dec 2023 15:35

Since this issue occurred after your trip, it might be related to a recent update or change in settings. Consider reporting this issue to VLC's support or forums for more specific advice.
Also, you can consider testing Chromecast with another device to rule out an issue specific to your MacBook Air.
What specific "support or forum" did you have in mind?
The other points are detailed in the context, thread and/or tried. All fine/updated/otherwise normal.

MystiqueWanderer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MystiqueWanderer » 05 Dec 2023 13:34

Oh! Come on! Do you really think that people complain about some bugs only on this forum? I don't think so. Personally, I found out about this forum when I had some issues with installing VLC on my computer. I asked on one gaming forum who else faced a similar issue, and they suggested this place to me. But sometimes, you can find answers dedicated to VLC on other forums. What's bad with surfing the web and talking to people in different communities?

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”