Issue opening VLC on a new M1 Mac

macOS specific usage questions
MickM
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: macOS

Issue opening VLC on a new M1 Mac

Postby MickM » 04 Jul 2022 18:34

Just purchased my first M1 Mac - a new mini. I have updated to the latest versions of the OS (12.4) and downloaded the latest VLC (3.0.17.3). I heard VLC is fully M1 compatible so I was surprised to see a dialog box pop up when I opened VLC saying that I needed to first install Rosetta. I can certainly do that, but something doesn't smell right. Is VLC behaving as expected?

MickM
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Issue opening VLC on a new M1 Mac

Postby MickM » 05 Jul 2022 15:07

Anybody? I figured this would be a quickie...

MickM
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MickM » 05 Jul 2022 16:28

OK - so I figured it out. The download page I was on to download VLC had a small white disclosure triangle on the big orange download button that I missed. That revealed a drop-down menu that enabled selecting the M1 version and all was good after that. So now I feel like a bit of a dork, although I didn't think it wasn't a particularly obvious UI given that the button definitely said macOS under it. I assumed if it knew my OS that it knew the correct version of the OS (Intel or M1)...

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 06 Jul 2022 22:11

Hi, for some browsers, the website detects automatically that you run on M1 mac and offers the right download from the start. Unfortunately this mechanism does not work in Apple Safari (they do not provide this information in purpose), so for this brower we can only offer the Intel variant by default.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”