M-Audio Firewire 410 support

macOS specific usage questions
Guest 123

M-Audio Firewire 410 support

Postby Guest 123 » 12 Jan 2006 04:57

is there any info on setting up M-audio products for VLC?

tonsofpcs
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby tonsofpcs » 16 Jan 2006 08:33

such as?

xiaodidi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

M-Audio

Postby xiaodidi » 16 Jan 2006 10:26

Sonica Theater.

Basically you're fine as long as you choose digital out. I struggled for six months to get the six-channel output the Sonica Theater was designed for, then I gave up [1]. I should have bought the Sonica Transit (digital in/out only) to start with. These days all playback systems except the cheapest have digital in anyway.

Of course I did bother with analogue output because I have analogue boxes, Logitech Z-5300. Then I bought the excellent Creative DDTS-100 decoder. Now with Mac->VLC->Theater->DDTS-100->Z-5300 I am fine. As a (big) bonus, I can use the many digital and analogue inputs of the DDTS to select input sources for the Z-5300: TV audio, CD-player, etc. The only minus point I can find with the DDTS is that apparently it lacks a digital-out line.

=============

[1] with analogue out I had all sorts of problems: scrambled 5.1 channels, only stereo, 5.1 OK, scrambled stereo, inconsistent behaviour depending on the OS and the VLC versions.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 16 Jan 2006 15:36

If you use the latest drivers, the latest VLC, use no more then the 5.1 setup of the Sonica and properly configure/assign your speakers in Audio Midi Setup Utility, you shouldn't have a single issue.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

xiaodidi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

No problem.

Postby xiaodidi » 16 Jan 2006 16:52

If you use the latest drivers, the latest VLC, use no more then the 5.1 setup of the Sonica and properly configure/assign your speakers in Audio Midi Setup Utility, you shouldn't have a single issue.
Alas, I did try just that. Could it be that I had to do a clean install first, or it would work on an out-of-the box Mac, but it just failed in my case. Anyway, the future is digital. And, I am quite happy with VLC the way it is setup now.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 16 Jan 2006 21:27

I have had a Sonica Theater for months. The support in VLC for analog multichannel audio is built against it. If it doesn't work for you, then you have incorrect settings somewhere.

(Or an OLD driver. it's very important you have the latest driver).
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”