0.8.4a digital encoded audio: unsteady volume, tone on G5

macOS specific usage questions
gusax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

0.8.4a digital encoded audio: unsteady volume, tone on G5

Postby gusax » 07 Jan 2006 12:36

When using the "Digital encoded output" in vlc 0.8.4a, dolby digital and dts starts to vary in volume and tone. This is most noticable on bass-sounds like male voices but it affects all sounds, not just bass.

Forgive me for the silly explanation that follows but I don't know how to explain it in an other way :-)

If a normal deep bass sound is ooooooommmmmmmpppphhh
Notice the continuos steady bass :-)

the sound produced through the encoded output "stutters" and varies in tone (capitals = higher volume)
oooOOoomMMmmmMPpppHHh
Notice the raising of the volume :-)
The raising actually is gradual but the lowering (going from O to o) is instant.

Silly explanation I know. I could probably record it though.

The audio doesn't lag or anything it's just isn't steady. It's as if someone turns the volume up slowly from normal to a bit louder, quickly turns the volume back to normal again and once more start to slowly turn the volume up. The "invisible person" does this about once per second.

Naturally it's very annoying, especially since normal "non-encoded" output sounds just fine.

To reproduce:
hook the optical output of the G5 up to a 5.1 reciever
play any file with ac3 or dts sound non-encoded so you can hear how it should sound
switch to encoded output and play the same ac3 or dts-sound again and listen to the variation in volume and tone, especially on bass sounds or male voices

It might help to crank the volume up a bit but you sould be able to hear it on really low volumes too as long as you know what you're listening for.

The same file works without change in volume in EyeTV using its encoded output so if you've got EyeTV you can compare its encoded output and verify that it doesn't "stutter" too.

vlc 0.8.4a Powermac G5 2x2GHz, 2GB ram, Ati radeon 9600 128MB, 5.1 surround though the optical output of the G5

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 07 Jan 2006 19:46

Use a VLC nightly build. This was one of the last bugs in our new audio system. We always use the "current" sample rate of your audio device, and not the rate of the audio we are going to output on the SPDIF bus.

So if your device is running at 44.1khz, and the dolby is at 48khz, then this problem will surface.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”