VLC default for MP4 and digital signature check

macOS specific usage questions
atakacs
New Cone
New Cone

VLC default for MP4 and digital signature check

Postby atakacs » 26 Nov 2019 10:21

Hi

Not sure it is really a VLC issue but for some reason I can't seem the OS to keep the association for MP4 being opened by VLC (ie double click MP4 file -> open in VLC). It seems to regularly revert to Quick time player...

More worrying if I reset it (open with -> other -> VLC -> always use) for some reason the OS would refuse to play the video because "it is from an unidentified developer" (Ie gatekeeper would apparently run a digital signature check on the video and, as it is obviously not signed, would refuse VLC access to it). Very weird...

Anyone else seeing this ?

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC default for MP4 and digital signature check

Postby dfuhrmann » 15 Dec 2019 20:13

Try to remove VLC, and install it again from videolan.org. Maybe this helps.

sw3De
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sw3De » 21 Dec 2019 15:55

Hi

Not sure it is really a VLC issue but for some reason I can't seem the OS to keep the association for MP4 being opened by VLC (ie double click MP4 file -> open in VLC). It seems to regularly revert to Quick time player...

More worrying if I reset it (open with -> other -> VLC -> always use) for some reason the OS would refuse to play the video because "it is from an unidentified developer" (Ie gatekeeper would apparently run a digital signature check on the video and, as it is obviously not signed, would refuse VLC access to it). Very weird...

Anyone else seeing this ?
This exact thing happened to me too. Using Catalina 10.15.2 and a Mac mini, on my iMac it works flawlessly.
I will try reinstalling VLC.

/Mike

sw3De
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sw3De » 22 Dec 2019 06:33

Some more info,
I installed VLC on a brand new Mac mini, cant remember what Os but presumably the previous to Catalina.
I upgraded to Catalina.
As far as I can tell I am administrator.

I uninstalled and downloaded VLC again from videolan.org and nothing changed.
If I start VLC manually and then drag a .mp4 on to it, it starts as expected.

Not sure if this is a VLC or macOS issue?

Are there older versions of VLC available? Maybe I could try install one of those and then update from within VLC?

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”