stuck in random playback mode

macOS specific usage questions
uhanepono
New Cone
New Cone

stuck in random playback mode

Postby uhanepono » 26 Oct 2018 03:11

Hi I have the problem of VLC being stuck in random mode. When i either mouse-over and select or i use the default short cuts. I want to listen to an audiobook but the player now keeps jumping about on the playlist and also repeats. when I do select another mode from the dropdown it colapses and when I return to look at the playback dropdown menu it has again reverted to the "random" setting. I have reinstalled after uninstalling. Any ideas for a fix? stumped

Lornadoo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.11.1
Operating System: Mac OS 10.14.6

Re: stuck in random playback mode

Postby Lornadoo » 04 Nov 2018 13:35

There is hope. Easy fix.

First, see if you have the Repeat and Shuffle icons turned on in the bottom of your playlist window. If they are on (highlighted in blue), then turn them off by clicking on them until they turn grey.

If you do not see any repeat or shuffle icons in your playlist window, you might not have them enabled. Go to VLC Preference settings and click Show All. Look under Interface->Main Interface->macosx, and check the box for "Show Shuffle & Repeat Buttons", and then click Save. Quit VLC and restart it. You should now see the Shuffle and Repeat buttons in the bottom of the Playlist window.

If none of that helps, go back to VLC Preferences, and click Show All. Look under Playlist and make sure the following options are NOT checked...
"Play files randomly forever"
"Repeat all"
If they are checked, uncheck those two boxes and click Save, quit VLC and restart.

If none of that works, quit VLC and delete the two VLC preference files located in your home directory: Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ~▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Preferences⁩
org.videolan.vlc (folder)
org.videolan.vlc.plist

Hope that helps.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”