Getting tired of subtitles and output resetting randomly

macOS specific usage questions
billgates
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Getting tired of subtitles and output resetting randomly

Postby billgates » 14 Aug 2017 01:48

Randomly some days starting VLC on osx 10.x.x my audio output setting of encoded hdmi and subtitles disabled both turning themselves on. Every time I start VLC I have to double check the output is set to hdmi encoded, most days the checkbox is on nothing. subtitles are also turning themselves on even though I have set in the preferences many different settings like default track -5 or 0. Please tell me the reason vlc cannot remember the settings from the last time I used it?? These annoyances are the only problem I have, VLC is the best video application. Thanks.

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Re: Getting tired of subtitles and output resetting randomly

Postby ajmas » 16 Aug 2017 17:42

Could you clear your VLC preferences are see if this helps?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

billgates
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby billgates » 17 Aug 2017 21:15

Could you clear your VLC preferences are see if this helps?
I have tried that and eventually it goes back again. I have a mac mini connected via hdmi to a receiver for audio and video. And sometimes I change the output to watch tv instead of my mac, and go back to that hdmi input and it loses the hdmi encoded output check box and nothing is checked on vlc. Then sometimes after turning on my tv and receiver, then turning on the mac and starting vlc nothing is checked on the audio ouput again. Could there be a preferences setting to force each time and to continuously keep a specific setting for output, and subtitles?

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 18 Aug 2017 16:31

So it would seem changing the output causes VLC to lose the output specific settings? I am not in a position to validate that myself right now, but I'll see if I can reproduce to open a bug report.

Just for info, which VLC version, which macOS version and which Mac mini model?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

billgates
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby billgates » 18 Aug 2017 23:26

So it would seem changing the output causes VLC to lose the output specific settings? I am not in a position to validate that myself right now, but I'll see if I can reproduce to open a bug report.

Just for info, which VLC version, which macOS version and which Mac mini model?
Every vlc version it happens in. I am currently using the nightly build 2.2.7 also and it still happens. Mac Mini Mid 2010 model. Connected via hdmi to an Onkyo receiver.

And any suggestion for subtitle settings to force it to not turn on unless I select it? I've tried subtitle 0, -5 and other random numbers in the preferences but sometimes it turns on still. Thanks!

billgates
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby billgates » 21 Aug 2017 21:07

To clarify in case my rambling got really confusing it is not only after changing inputs to another hdmi on my receiver and back to the mac mini that loses the hdmi encoded input setting in vlc, it is also randomly opening a file or the first time I turn on the mac and then open a file. I have to check each time after opening a file that vlc started in the correct hdmi encoded output setting and subtitles turned off.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”