Crash when play files from a certain folder(s)

macOS specific usage questions
tango125
New Cone
New Cone

Crash when play files from a certain folder(s)

Postby tango125 » 10 Mar 2015 11:31

Hello, hope someone could help me out.

I have sorted out my video collections into folders, the problem started with Maverick and has continue on with my new macmini with Yosemite.

It first started when one day as usual, I just try to play file "A1" from "A" folder, it just would not start. VLC tries to load it, then it crashes and force quit. When I re-open VLC, it gives me the option of reloading or start fresh, if I choose reload then it crashes again, so I have to start fresh. From then on whenever I try to play any files in "A" folder, e.g. I try to play "A2" it crashes. However, if I copy or cut "A1" out of folder "A", and paste it somewhere else on the hard drives it plays fine, but if I copy or cut all of the files out of A1 folder and paste it into a new folder, and try to play any files, it crashes again. Because I uses Drobo, I figured it might be problem with Drobo, but I've also try copy all the files in the non working folder to another internatl hard drive, the same problem continues.

Lately, this has started with another folder, and I don't have a clue why this is happening, hope someone can help me here!

I hope my problem is clear, feel free to ask me to give more info.

Also, I have also tried chaning names to the files and folders, it still crashes.

cchen23
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Crash when play files from a certain folder(s)

Postby cchen23 » 10 Mar 2015 23:05

I'm trying to understand your problem. Are you saying that files wouldn't play if they are in folders?

tango125
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Crash when play files from a certain folder(s)

Postby tango125 » 11 Mar 2015 06:44

In short, Yes!

Say I got a Movies folder, they are split into say Actor by names Folder. So I got whole loads of Harrison Ford in its own folder, then one with Hugh Grant, etc...

Suddenly all films in Harrison Ford folder won't play at all the VLC. If let's say I want to watch Blade Runner, I cut or copy and paste into anywhere, it plays, even if I copy it into Hugh Grant folder, it plays. However, if I copy all Harrison Ford films to a new location or make a new folder and rename it something different, it won't play again. It still plays if I copy a few, but I didn't count the exact amount of files I need to have in the same folder to stop it playing. And doing so does not affect the files already in the folder either, say copy them all into Hugh Grant's folder, all the Hugh Grant stuff still plays...

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”