How do I install libaacs? libbdplus? and libbluray?

macOS specific usage questions
ds_tx
New Cone
New Cone

How do I install libaacs? libbdplus? and libbluray?

Postby ds_tx » 08 Mar 2015 17:01

Per VLN website, I've downloaded latest version of VLN player 2.2.0, and additional software for blu ray —
libaacs-0.8.0, libbdplus-0.1.2, and libbluray-0.7.0
I've installed VLN and uncompressed lib files in my Downloads folder, but don't know what to do with them.
Could someone please provide step by step Terminal instructions for installing the lib files?

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Re: How do I install libaacs? libbdplus? and libbluray?

Postby dfuhrmann » 08 Mar 2015 18:07

I think you need to look in the internet for instructions. I am sure you will find some.

And you do not need to download all of the mentioned packages, as VLC is already including some of those.

ds_tx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ds_tx » 08 Mar 2015 18:39

Where on internet? Please provide URLs.
This does not work — http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name
Which packages is VLC already including and which ones aren't icluded?

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 08 Mar 2015 21:51

Sorry, but I will not give any further information about this topic here. VLC should already include all required libraries to play unencrypted Blurays.

ds_tx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ds_tx » 08 Mar 2015 22:30

So will VLC 2.2.0 play a commercial blu ray movie or not?
What do you mean by unencrypted?
What type of commercial movies are unencrypted?

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 08 Mar 2015 22:58

A typical commercial bluray is encrypted, so these blurays cannot be played by default.

ds_tx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ds_tx » 08 Mar 2015 23:37

Then why does VLN have Key cfg file that is put into an aacs folder?
Online discussion indicates that's the whole point of having keys in order to play encrypted blu ray.
Otherwise what's the point? To play home made blu ray video?
That's not what most Mac users are looking for.
I just want to be able to play blu ray movie on my Mac without having to pay $40 for nothing but a player.

cchen23
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cchen23 » 09 Mar 2015 06:11

There are threads on how to play bluray in the Windows troubleshooting forum. I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 09 Mar 2015 08:20

Sorry, but the page you already found gives clear instructions already. If you do not understand them, look for another description.

Videolan has nothing to do with these Key cfg files, thus we cannot give any support here. If you need assistance, please ask the page author directly if possible.

JeffNME
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JeffNME » 07 Mar 2016 01:30

I'm sorry dfuhrmann, but you are wrong: there are no instructions.
The only instruction is to uncompress it, not where or what to do with it.
If I knew that already, I wouldn't be looking for instruction (which are NOT in the archive, NOT on the VLC website).
Please step-by-step for those of who've never done this before.

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 07 Mar 2016 04:01

There are sites that explain this and there may be other threads that may already have covered this.

You need to recognise that dealing with these encryption keys are a legal gray zone, that in terms of support we aren't comfortable getting involved in. For this reason, your best sources of help in this context are likely to be outside of this site.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

kifox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kifox » 12 Aug 2017 23:47

Greetings all. Old guy who has been tinkering with video for years but new to this forum. Please pardon for arriving late to this thread. I too recently began experiencing difficulty playing recent BR discs from my library. For years, I have been able to watch my personal copies of movies on BR and DVD by adding the commonly available 'libaacs.dll' into VLC's program folder, and updated versions of 'keydb' into a VLC directory in Common Files within Program Files. I had no trouble with this former method until a couple months ago. I've attempted updating to VLC 2.2.6, along with the most recently available 'keydb' but nothing works anymore. That's when I dug a little further on videolan.org and noticed the three supplemental branches mentioned in this posts title. I realize they are offered by third parties, and official response here may be limited. But as the original poster asked, and unless I'm missing something otherwise obvious, the answers have yet to be presented anywhere. I am just as interested in how these three 'libraries,' 'plugins,' or whatever they are called, need to be installed. Every site, including authors appear to offer differing, vague procedures. Example: as for installing the 'libaacs-0.9.0' package (after unpacking for its compressed archive,) should one simply place that entire folder into VLC's program folder? I have used 'paid' BR-capable players and they all fail to consistently perform. That's why I always end back with good ol' VLC. Yes, the legal issues prevent the larger open-source community from providing clear guides, but come on... this is getting ridiculous. My only dependable option at this point seems to be the purchase of a stand-alone BR player for $75-375 and pray I can use it more than a few years. I prefer using my PC for just about everything I do for work, play, and entertainment, but perhaps it's time to throw it all away.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”