Image stutter

macOS specific usage questions
carizma1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Image stutter

Postby carizma1 » 04 Mar 2015 08:04

using iMac 2013 and Xbox 1. my problem is the playback. i have tried to tweak every setting with no luck. when i rip a movie into MKV format uncompressed i get a slight stutter in parts where the camera is panning. on my xbox i do not have this issue using the same bluray disc. i have even noticed this on my compressed movies. any settings that could smooth things out would be greatly appreciated.

i just tried the same MKV HD file on both my mac and the TV and the stutter is still the same.
also i took the same bluray from the xbox and played it on the iMac to the TV and ITS SMOOTH using a Bluray player app.

To Sum up (all the same movie from bluray)
MKV HD from iMac using VLC to TV and on iMac =Stutter
bluray from iMac (using bluray player app) and xbox=No stutter

cchen23
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Image stutter

Postby cchen23 » 04 Mar 2015 17:02

Have you tried playing MKV files that were not ripped from bluray? Would the stutter happen then?

carizma1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby carizma1 » 05 Mar 2015 04:36

unfortunately the only file i have is from a DVD and it does it too. i rip all my blurays this way and didn't really notice it till i got a sony 4K TV. now the stutter is unbearable. i tried all different settings in the codec and have no clue what to do now. i can even notice it now on my 27" iMac :-(

i did some research and found some info that says MKV file will never be smooth because of the difficult decoding that vlc has to do. if that is true then i have a ton of work to repackage all my movie to m4v LOL. have you heard of anything about certain file formats playing clearer and smoother in VLC

cchen23
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cchen23 » 05 Mar 2015 05:49

From what I've seen in the forum threads, no one really has much issue playing regular MKV files. I wonder if ripping from bluray made a difference. I wonder if you ripped it into a different codec, if the stutter would still happen.

carizma1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby carizma1 » 05 Mar 2015 05:59

i use make mkv and have been using it for years. ill try to convert my next movie to m4v but i hear that format does not support DTS or the Lossless formats. fingers crossed

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”